ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make a smoke trial WITHOUT using Particular

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Hildebrand
How to make a smoke trial WITHOUT using Particular
on Jun 15, 2013 at 6:42:10 am

I am currently working on a project where an asteroid hits a city...Tutorials on line say you need particular...I don't have 400 dollars to spend on buying the product....Are there an Alternatives?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How to make a smoke trial WITHOUT using Particular
on Jun 15, 2013 at 1:33:45 pm

Watch this tutorial on creating 3D lines from Andrew Kramer: 3d Stroke Effect. Then change the particle type to one of the "Textured items" and create some kind of custom textured layer to make smoke.
Next you would want to adjust some of the physics(Inherit Velociy and Gravity)..basically change the line he created to look and behave like smoke.

Next you should take a look at(if you haven't already seen it) the Smoke Trails tutorial, he uses particular but some of the compositing techniques might be helpful to you.

Just messing around I took his first project and used the smoke from the second project to make a rough smokey line. Take a look at that and it should get you started pretty good on creating smoke for your asteroid.

6150_3dstrokeeffect.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Chris Hildebrand
on Jun 15, 2013 at 7:46:13 pm

may I see what the finished Project looks like?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 15, 2013 at 8:25:14 pm

I posted it above, is the link/project not working for you?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Chris Hildebrand
on Jun 15, 2013 at 8:26:43 pm

I got it to work, took a few tries! thank you!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 15, 2013 at 8:45:24 pm

Glad to help. Now that you have a starting point, let us know if you run into anymore problems or need help to make it work better.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]