ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting/Rendering at 16:10

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Ralph
Exporting/Rendering at 16:10
on Jun 9, 2013 at 8:59:31 am

Hi,
Basically for a college project i created a spaceman animation, about 5 and a half minutes long. Since i love space art i used a large number of high quality backgrounds in my animation. Since my monitor is 1920x1200 all the backgrounds are the same resolution. I need a codec that will export my animation at 1920x1200 without sacrificing too much image quality. i cant go back and resize them as i simply dont have time. The codec must support this resolution. so far the only codec that seems to support it is AVI, the others just lock at 1920x1080. It also needs to compress, the 1000 mb/s data rate of my last attempt is a tad excessive :(

I am currently on a windows but the video will be played back on both windows and mac only, its not going to DVD or on the web. i have both After Effects and Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Exporting/Rendering at 16:10
on Jun 9, 2013 at 4:49:24 pm

Render out a master to AVI-Lossless master. Drag that into Media Encoder and now you can experiment a bit. I'd try creating a Quicktime then open up the "preset" side and select H.264 as your codec. I just tried a quick test and it's working for me.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
Re: Exporting/Rendering at 16:10
on Jun 9, 2013 at 6:17:41 pm

[Joshua Ralph] "I need a codec that will export my animation at 1920x1200 without sacrificing too much image quality."

Many codecs support non-standard resolutions. For the built-in Adobe (MainConcept) H.264 codec go to Basic Video Settings and first set the Level to 5.0 or 5.1; lower levels do not support 1200p. Then input the desired resolution.

Note that these videos don't always play well on Macs. The QuickTime H.264 codec is a better choice for cross-platform compatibility. Another alternative is to render an intermediate file and then transcode to MP4/H.264 using QuickTime Pro.

[Joshua Ralph] "It also needs to compress, the 1000 mb/s data rate of my last attempt is a tad excessive :("

H.264 will probably be the best codec for your needs. The specific export settings will depend on your bitrate requirements. Max quality requires about 3 bpp; YouTube uses less than 0.1 bpp. That correlates to a range of about 5-158 mbps for a 1920x1200 video at 24fps. What is your desired average bitrate?

A high bitrate VC-1/WMV video will produce slightly better quality than H.264, but I don't know whether the wmv file will play on Macs. Use the free version of Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 if you would like to try VC-1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]