ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3d Tracking objects to People

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie Inglis3d Tracking objects to People
by on Jun 7, 2013 at 2:22:03 pm

Hi guys, Just saw this video and was really curious how that managed to track things to bodies like they did.

If you look at 0:53 you can really see what i mean. How did they make it act like that? what software did they use?

also i can see that it is just a simple track matte for some of them - but all of them have the faint outline of the persons body aswell (so it looks more complicated than a simple track matte.

In addition they have actually posted a breakdown video, so it might be helpful for those that know what is going on, but i dont really understand any of the processes it is demonstrating, or what is happening exactly.

What software was used? what processes are used? any tutorial or hints?

Any specific help would be very appreciated, thanks in advance,

Ollie inglis

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 3d Tracking objects to People
by on Jun 7, 2013 at 3:14:50 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a tutorial for that, but from the breakdown, it' looks like they tracked different parts of the body using Mocha. That information was brought into AE and they used that information to control the puppet tool between the body parts and the letters. Strings could be attached with the beam effect or masks and strokes. Finally the textures looked to images that were using the green screen footage as mattes. Perhaps a little displacement mapping was being used also.

Really high concept piece that took incredible execution, extremely advanced work.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 3d Tracking objects to People
by on Jun 7, 2013 at 3:38:22 pm

Here's a piece on how the Black Swan visual effects were made with After Effects and mocha:

The same principles apply.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ollie InglisRe: 3d Tracking objects to People
by on Jun 8, 2013 at 7:12:57 am

Great thanks for the reply. Would you have any idea about how to export mocha tracking onto the pupper tool in AE? thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved