AE ignores queue and tries to render everything at once

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rune Ryberg
AE ignores queue and tries to render everything at once
on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:44:46 am

the Subject pretty much say it all.

i7 imac, 16Gb ram, AE5.5

I've set up a major project from which I'll need to output alot of short and long videos as Animation codec QT with rgb+alpha.
When I started the render queue (25 queued different outputs), I noticed right away, that the yellow progress bar didn't move at all (The computer started to make noise, so rendering was clearly going on), after a couple of minutes, the progress bar skips to the end, rendering done, moves on to next queued comp and everything hangs again.
A couple of hours later, I return to check on the render and the instance I touch AE, it crashes.
I look to see how many files it managed to output, and I see, it has been writing/rendering on every single queued comp, but only completed two or three outputs.

I've never come across a problem like this one before.

When I check the Activity monitor, I can see the Disk Activity is going crazy, it makes the whole computer hang.

Anyone tried this before? and do you know how I could possible get the pro back in AE?

Return to posts index

Rune Ryberg
Re: AE ignores queue and tries to render everything at once
on Jun 3, 2013 at 5:17:26 am

I just switched off Multi processing and started the render queue, which now acts as a proper queue and not a complete chaos.

Why can't I use multi processing for rendering? perhaps something to do with how much ram and many processors I allow to use.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: AE ignores queue and tries to render everything at once
on Jun 3, 2013 at 12:00:38 pm

With 16GB of RAM MP you should have enough memory to MP, though that also depends on the number of processors. Couple of things I've found is that either previewing or rendering with MP turned off, then turning it back on, sometimes will get it started to work again properly.

Also, be aware that some effects just are MP compatible. Another issue is could be how much RAM you have assigned to each processor.

Here's some info Todd Kopriva(Adobe) put together regarding MP:

FAQ: What are optimum memory settings for best performance in After Effects...

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]