ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Newbie Q: How to achieve that fast, multiple frame, long scene effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Cotterill
Newbie Q: How to achieve that fast, multiple frame, long scene effect?
on May 28, 2013 at 1:52:50 am

I'm new to video editing so apologies if this info is freely available online.

I'm helping my won with a project and I want to record him building a lego set. But it will take him several hours, therefore I don't want one long scene.

I've seen other videos of people constructing things, and it's a 'frame effect' (sorry, my best attempt at describing it). It's as if someone has taken 1000's of photos, but I know it's a camcorder.

It's great because my son can take breaks without it affecting the shoot. And I can help him with the set, also without me being in the video.

I'm probably not describing it too well. I'm sure someone knows what the heck I'm talking about.

I have adobe after effects so I'm thinking it's a feature within that? Or is it camcorder specific?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Newbie Q: How to achieve that fast, multiple frame, long scene effect?
on May 28, 2013 at 2:48:21 am

What you are describing is a timelapse. You would set up your video camera in a location and record the scene, bring it into your editing program and just speed up the footage. In AE, you would do this with either Time-stretching and time-remapping.

Some video cameras also have functions to assist in a timelapse, by only shooting 1 second of video every minute(or however you set it up). So you should check out to see if your camera has this functionality.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kevin Cotterill
on May 28, 2013 at 3:07:19 am

Thank you. I will go and research that now that I know what it's called.

Return to posts index

Kevin Cotterill
on May 28, 2013 at 6:00:47 am

Ok, I've spent most of the day looking into this but I'm not finding the effect I want.

I don't just want to speed up the time, I want to speed up the time but also create that effect where it looks like I'm watching a series of photos. Does that make sense?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 28, 2013 at 1:50:58 pm

Sorry for misunderstanding. If I were doing this, I would create a composition where you speed up/compress the action to the time you want for the video...So you would take your full-length video, drop it into a new composition and enable time-remapping, and if you want a 2 minute video, take the end keyframe and move it to the 2 minute mark. Just for ease of working, press "cntl+k" and change your composition to 2 minutes and name it "Precomp_Time Remap".

Next take Precomp_Time Remap and drag it to the new comp button and call this one Final. Add the effect Posterize time to your precomp and using some math you can work out how long you want each frame to be on screen. So if you choose a frame rate of 1, each frame will be on screen for 1 second. Frame Rate = .5 will give you a duration of 2 seconds.

Now if you want these to be in actual picture frames that's going to require a little more work, but you should have a starting point now.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Kevin Cotterill
on May 29, 2013 at 4:19:35 am

Absolutely no need to apologize. You're totally awesome! Thanks so much for this.

I did some more research and came to the conclusion I needed a STILL camera and time lapse to get this effect but if I can just shoot footage as normal using my camcorder and edit in AE, GREAT!!

Return to posts index

Arne Peters
on May 29, 2013 at 5:06:30 am

just a few suggestions for your "stopmotion" project:
- secure the lego baseplate with some adhesive tape
- set the camera's focus and white-balance to manual,

most digital cameras come with additional software so you can hook them to your Mac/PC. By using the computer as remote control you'd eliminate the risk of inadvertendly moving the camera when taking the pictures.

Happy "brickfilming" :)
Arne

Win7 64bit SP1, 16GB, AMD Phenom II X4 955,
NVidia GeForceGTX 470
Adobe Prod.Prem. CS 5.5 (CS6 coming soon)
Canon EOS 7D, Canon Legria HF G10

Return to posts index

Kevin Cotterill
on May 29, 2013 at 5:40:19 am

Thanks a bunch Arne.

I came across this site http://diyphotobits.com/ which allows me to control my DX40 with my laptop.

Although if I can get a similar effect using the camcorder and some editing, I'll probably go with that.

Return to posts index

Kevin Cotterill
on May 29, 2013 at 8:48:16 am

Johnny,

Do you mind explaining why I should create a second comp (called Final)? What's the benefit?

Sorry, still learning :-(

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 29, 2013 at 11:48:35 am

You really don't need to do that, I just find it easier for workflow purposes. If you want, after you time remap the footage you could throw a posterize time effect directly to the footage.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]