ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Numerically offset time?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernest RosadoNumerically offset time?
by on May 17, 2013 at 7:01:09 am

I have a long video file (about 2 hours) that I imported into AE CS6. I really only need to use about 15 seconds of it, but that 15 seconds is 1:31:25 from the start of the video. When I import the video in my comp, it seems the only way to offset the time is to slide the track from right to left. Doing that for 91 minutes of footage seems a little ridiculous. Is there a way to offset the clip's start time by typing in the frame value or time value?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Numerically offset time?
by on May 17, 2013 at 12:12:04 pm

There are couple of ways to do what you want to do and sliding the layer should be the last method. This is how I would do it.

In your timeline there is a timecode/frame display, type in the correct timecode there and hit enter and the Current Timecode Indicator(CTI) will jump to the that time. Now with the layer highlighted, press "alt + [" to trim the layer to that spot. Press the "Home" key and the "[" and the layer will move to the beginning of the comp.

You can trim the end of the layer using "alt + ]". Next I would go to the end of your new/shorter clip and press "n" to shorten the preview range to the new length of the clip. And last, I would right click in the preview area of the timeline window and select "Trim comp to work area"

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ernest RosadoRe: Numerically offset time?
by on May 17, 2013 at 12:15:02 pm

Thank you for your reply, John, but is there a way to do it without precomposing? I don't want to overcomplicate my project and the length of my clip is far greater than the length of my comp.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2013 at 12:54:54 pm

For that method, you would have to drop the clip into a sequence, whether it be a precomp or your final is up to you, you can do all of those steps in the timeline.

But here is another method. Double click your clip in the project window. It opens up a footage window, you can scrub the CTI to your in-point or click the timecode below the window and type in your TC. Now with the CTI at your in-point click the "{" below the window. Now move to the out-point and click "}" icon. Now you can take the trimmed footage from the project window and drop it into your final comp.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Ernest RosadoRe: Numerically offset time?
by on May 17, 2013 at 12:56:39 pm

Awesome! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you!!!

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2013 at 1:50:57 pm

You're welcome, glad I could help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]