ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Linear wipe reveals moving text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Caldwell
Linear wipe reveals moving text
on May 14, 2013 at 1:41:05 am

Hello:

I'm relatively new to AE and need to do something very simple. I need to have a word of animated text be "revealed" as it rotates into position. The curved text rotates in about a round object. I think I need to use a Linear wipe with a feathered edge (that's what I would do back in the day on a switcher) but I can't make it work. The wipe needs to only affect the word of text and not the layers below. Any help for an idiot would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Linear wipe reveals moving text
on May 14, 2013 at 11:45:06 am

Off the top of my head did you apply the wipe directly to your text? Also, which render engine are using?

It would help if you could post a screen grab of you comp window and timeline with any effects, transformations twirled open. You can post the screen grabs here using the 3rd to last icon above the reply dialogue.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on May 14, 2013 at 2:28:54 pm

Hello:

Thanks for replying. This is an embarrassingly simple task but I'm up against a deadline and can't get it to work. I'm rebuilding this open for HD use. I need the words "Hall" and "Fame" to rotate down into their current positions from about 90 degrees back clockwise and counterclockwise respectively and be revealed as they rotate past the Texas element without masking the lower elements.

I can't tell if the capture is there. It was a successful upload but I don't see an indication of it as an attachment here.

Again. Thanks for helping an idiot out. Dan.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 14, 2013 at 3:48:19 pm

When you use the jpeg icon, you need to click on the upload names to get an embed link. Copy the link and paste it in your next post.

If the project doesn't contain a lot of assets, you could do a Files > Collect files(really only need the assets that are in the comp that is giving you issues). Zip up the resulting folder and use the last icon to upload it here. When you are finished, make sure to post the embed link. I could download the project and take a quick look.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on May 15, 2013 at 3:02:27 pm

Hello John:

I've attached the AE project file. Cow will not let me attach a folder with media. Thanks for your time on this. I've got the linear wipe effect in the text layer but I'm not getting it.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 15, 2013 at 6:47:07 pm

I'm looking at your project and you have Radial Wipes the 3 layers below your text also, did you mean to do that?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on May 16, 2013 at 4:07:45 am

Hello John:

I believe I had tried experimenting with a couple of different wipe effects to see if they had different parameters that might help me diagnose a solution. But I'm starting from scratch tonight. I had a brutal day. My raid crashed. After two-plus hours with ATTO tech support late today it looks like I've lost everything on the raid. I had two drives simultaneously fail on an eight drive system and raid protection five can't recover from that. So...

I still need to figure out how to have text animate from a hidden position to be revealed. The wipe edge needs to be on an angle and feathered so their is a soft reveal. This needs to happen within the text layer so the layers below are not effected. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 16, 2013 at 11:54:06 am

I'm still not sure why the radial wipe is affecting the layers beneath, I played with your project and the text seemed to reveal as expected. If you apply a radial wipe to only the text, that's the only thing that should be affected.

If you are still having problems, please post some screen grabs so we can see we can more properly access and diagnose the problem.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Robert Headrick
on May 14, 2013 at 2:15:46 pm

Go with John's advice first, it does sound like you might not have applied the effect directly to your text layer. Another way you could do this would be to use a feathered mask on the text layer. Depending on what sort of motion is going on, this might be easier or more complicated than using the linear wipe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]