ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects renders choppy no matter what settings I use.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel GregoryAfter Effects renders choppy no matter what settings I use.
by on May 13, 2013 at 9:03:07 am

Sorry my first post is a question but I am totally stuck for a solution with this. I have just created a property video tour for a client. I edited the footage in Premier Pro, then opened the project file in After effects (added some cinema 4D animation) and then rendered. The footage is never smooth no matter which settings I use. I want to upload to sites such as vimeo or daily motion cloud so use their recommended settings - h.264, vbr, bit size 4-6, keyframe 24fps. I also tried to just render the file out as a standard AVI file and then opened it in Media Encoder and applied the settings (h.264) there and because it does 2 passes i thought that might help, but the link below contains that file and it is just as choppy.

Just wondering if anybody has any advice on this? Also when hosted on these video hosting sites, the choppy-ness seems to be exagerated! I'm just wondering whether I'm missing something important here with the settings that could be causing me an issue?

Thanks for any help

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: After Effects renders choppy no matter what settings I use.
by on May 13, 2013 at 3:45:01 pm

Try taking your AVI into encoder and using the H.264 Vimeo HD template that will match your frame rate and size. That's what i do to convert Avid DNxHD for vimeo and I never have a problem. What was the final size of the file that you linked us too?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kris MerkelRe: After Effects renders choppy no matter what settings I use.
by on May 13, 2013 at 5:47:26 pm

Are you using dynamic link into AE from the PrPro timeline? You have a few choices as far as your workflow is concerned.

You can Cut and use DL them use AME to encode the final version.

You can cut and export the video in a higher res codec to AE, add GFX then export directly from the AE render que

Render out just the sections that you need from AE and then cut into your PrPro sequence and export through AME.

It really sounds like your encoding settings are out of whack. Try setting your h.246 bitrate in ame to CBR and less then 7Mbps

If AE is screwing with the file you can render out in the animation codec and then encode your web version from PrPro via AME.

I hope that is not too confusing, but if your workflow is set up correctly and your encode settings are correct you should not be seeing choppy video.

Try the Dynamic link first from PrPro

"Think of everything in terms of building capacity."

Kris Merkel
twitter: @kris_merkel
Product Manager, Flanders Scientific Inc.
Co-Founder, Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects renders choppy no matter what settings I use.
by on May 13, 2013 at 6:05:26 pm

See this:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Daniel GregoryRe: After Effects renders choppy no matter what settings I use.
by on May 13, 2013 at 7:41:50 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
My work flow is basically this (If it helps):
Canon 7D 24fps .movs copied into folder and then imported straight into premier pro in a 24fps sequence. Add effects and save file. Open new AE comp and import PP file. The file is interpreted at 23.976fps in AE and the AE comp matches that. Add graphics etc and then export massive (14gb) AVI file. Open AVI file in Media Encoder and render using the vimeo preset with the settings outlined in my first post. Pretty safe method?

One thing that I'm now wondering is if maybe using 24fps could be the issue. I use a lot of pans in my videos and pans are the issue (certainly when the stuttering becomes more obvious). Do you guys think 30fps would make any difference and if so, will I loose the 'look' that 24fps supposedly gives you ?

I would also be interested to know if anybody else is seeing the stuttering playback that I am seeing as well. It kind of splutters and drags when the camera pans?

Thanks for any further advice!

Return to posts index

Kevin SchisselRe: After Effects renders choppy no matter what settings I use.
by on Jul 5, 2013 at 7:21:23 am

I'M LIVING THE SAME NIGHTMARE...people look to me for the answer i know the animation is smooth but there is something wrong with the output from AE or encoding through quicktime that creates this issue, i have a lot of slow pans and the client wants 24fps but nothing is ever smooth...they expect me to resolve the issue but i know literally nothing about exporting for 24fps or encoding to deliver them the right file..there has been zero troubleshooting cause apparently i'm supposed to just "figure it out" please post here how you've resolved your issue!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved