ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I create a light effect like in the opening credits of "Total Recall" (1990, Schwarzenegger)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Schelsky
How do I create a light effect like in the opening credits of "Total Recall" (1990, Schwarzenegger)
on May 6, 2013 at 10:36:51 pm

Hello COWs,
In the opening credits of TOTAL RECALL (1990) the text floats in, leaving a stream of light behind then disappears but leaving some sort of after image.
You can watch the opening credits on "Art of Title": http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/total-recall/
This is truly a masterpiece of opening credits and I want to recreate it in After Effects but I have no clue how to begin with.
Please help!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How do I create a light effect like in the opening credits of "Total Recall" (1990, Schwarzenegger)
on May 7, 2013 at 3:19:25 am

I messed around with this and was able to recreate it, using some directional blurs and drop shadows. Top layer is just black text.

I then made a highlight layer using a red drop shadow at 90 degrees. I used another text layer with a small blur as a inverted matte, so the highlights are basically just a stroke around the letters. Lastly I added a directional blur to the bottom layer to blend it in more.

The main rays were created by using a animated directional blur that is matted off from a solid. Then just a few keyframes and all done.

Made a project to illustrate the technique, hopefully this will help get you started.

5964_totalrecallglow.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Simon Schelsky
Re: How do I create a light effect like in the opening credits of "Total Recall" (1990, Schwarzenegger)
on May 7, 2013 at 7:56:17 am

Cant open the file. :/ Using AE 5 on Mac.

But nevermind! Your explanation is very helpful and I will get started right away.
Thank you so much for your fast reply.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 7, 2013 at 10:24:42 am

Here's a CS5 version, if you can't open that, I'll do some screen grabs if it helps.

5965_totalrecallglowcs5.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Simon Schelsky
on May 7, 2013 at 10:40:44 am

Worked. Thanks, mate!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 7, 2013 at 3:30:47 pm

Glad I was able to help, good luck with your project.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]