ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

freezing on a keyframe

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe jenkinsfreezing on a keyframe
by on May 3, 2013 at 5:05:03 am

Hey all,

I'm brand new to after effects and attempting a super simple animation that involves an object animating around a rectangular path. When said object gets to each individual corner of the path, i'd like it to stop for a couple seconds before resuming its course of motion. I'm unsure of how to make it pause and only have a couple days left to finish the animation. Would love some help. Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: freezing on a keyframe
by on May 3, 2013 at 12:19:07 pm

You need to make an extra keyframe that holds the position until you are ready to start again(you could create actual "Hold" keyframes, but it's not necessary for your purpose).

Place the object that will travel around the rectangle at it's start position, press "P" to reveal the position parameters and click the stop watch to set your first keyframe. Now right click that keyframe and choose "keyframe interpolation". Change the "Spatial Interpolation" to "Linear". Now move forward in time and move your object to the next corner, AE will generate a keyframe for that. Now move 2 seconds ahead in time and click the little checkbox between the navigation arrows and this will generate another keyframe, this is what creates your pause. Now move forward in time again and move to the next corner. Now just repeat until you get back to where you stated.

I made an example project that illustrates the technique:

If you really want to learn AE, then I would suggest you look at this page with has links to a lot of free learning resources. Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

joe jenkinsRe: freezing on a keyframe
by on May 3, 2013 at 5:02:06 pm

thanks so much for the help. it was in retrospect such a common sense solution. very grateful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved