ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What are the effects used in this video?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cindy Luk
What are the effects used in this video?
on Apr 24, 2013 at 1:10:26 am

Specifically I'm talking about the sequence at 0:31. Is it simply a quick sequence of jump cuts or sth else? Pointers to other effects in the MV are much appreciated as well.

I/O- "Wasted My Time" from BRTHR on Vimeo.

on a related front, any suggested resources for an AE newbie? I'm not looking at full tutorial, only simple pointers where I can research further.

Thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: What are the effects used in this video?
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:16:21 am

It was just a bunch of cuts(some jumps) with a frame of black between them.

If you want to download the video, copy the video url and head over to keepvid.com. Once you download it, you can bring it into AE and watch it frame by frame. Makes figuring things out a heck of a lot easier.

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6)...the link to Andrew Kramer(Video CoPilot) is a pretty good getting started series.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 24, 2013 at 3:45:59 pm

That's just a bunch of quick cuts: about 2 frames each. No big deal.

The Creative COW has a WEALTH of information on learning AE: Look for the Andrew Devis series on AE Basics. They're great. Ten years ago, you would have paid $500 for the same information that Andrew provides for free. I can't tell you how valuable his stuff is to a newcomer.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ollie Inglis
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:41:36 pm

I was actually studying this video and some of other BRTHR's work- i dropped them and asked them what they usually do (this is an exact quote):

"glitch stuff is done with plugins, stock footage, after effects.it depends on the situatiom. there's a cool plugin called damage we use as well. VHS look is about degraing quality. so zoom up, blur, do what ever you can"

lots of work is done in colorama, and lots of the flickery stuff is easily done in editing,

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 25, 2013 at 7:13:16 pm

....and the important phrase in that that quote is, "IT DEPENDS ON THE SITUATION".

With a disclaimer like that, it's tough to get a bead on the precise techniques used.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ollie Inglis
on Apr 25, 2013 at 9:55:39 pm

Haha yeah probably, i think just going through it slowly is probably the best way to do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]