ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Automatically loading duplicated comp into timeline panel after duplicating?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Clayton
Automatically loading duplicated comp into timeline panel after duplicating?
on Apr 21, 2013 at 11:44:20 pm

Hey guys,

Way too often I'm changing a comp (such as altering text) and I duplicate a comp to make the changes, but then forget to double click the new comp to load it into timeline panel such that my changes are actually happing to the duplicate.
Thus sometimes I have 5 (or so) duplicates of the initial comp with the original content, while the whole time I've just been changing the actual original over and over without actually saving the updated to the the next comps.

Is there a way to set up AE so that when I duplicate a comp it automatically becomes active in the timeline panel?

Thanks

Lance

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Automatically loading duplicated comp into timeline panel after duplicating?
on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:59:51 am

Not within the stock version of the application.

It would be possible to write a script to do this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Automatically loading duplicated comp into timeline panel after duplicating?
on Apr 24, 2013 at 10:44:13 pm

duplicating and then hitting the enter key (on the numbers pad) will open the duplicate...

hitting the enter key actually opens the selected comp in the project window, but since the duplicate is selected when duplicating a comp, this works pretty well.

you could, however, submit a feature request that perhaps doing a shift+duplicate (or similar) would duplicate and open the duplicate comp....

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Lance Clayton
on Apr 25, 2013 at 2:56:10 am

Thanks guys. That 'enter' key trick is so simple but should work a treat. Just got to remember to hit it, and the shift duplicate idea would be brilliant.

Thanks for the tips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]