ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pan and scan + render video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Skogstad
Pan and scan + render video
on Apr 21, 2013 at 11:14:51 am

Hi, I am very new to After Effects, but have experience with Photoshop and Flash professional.

Please see this printscreen to see my problem.

http://bildr.no/image/1442774.jpeg

I am trying to make a very short video. What I want is to pan and scan the selected area and then render the video.

I know how to render the video, but the problem is that the whole area on the video is included not just the selected area.

I guess my problem is that I choose "region of interest" to select that area. My question is what do I need to choose so this my selected area is the only area in the rendered movie?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Pan and scan + render video
on Apr 21, 2013 at 3:09:53 pm

Daniel, the image you uploaded is 150x84, that's way to small for anyone to diagnose the problem. You can upload full size images at the Cow, it's the third to last icon in the reply dialogue.

As for your problem-Region of Interest(ROI) is used for preview rendering within After Effects. If you have complex scenes that take up a lot of CPU/RAM, people use ROI to just work in specific areas.

You need to change the entire composition if you want to render less. There are a few ways to do this. One press, select your composition and press "Cntl+K" to open the comp settings dialogue-and enter in new dimensions. You can even select the preview button and get live updates on your new settings. Most likely you will have to re-position your image if you choose this method.

Another method would be to use the ROI button(located below the comp window), select the area you want to be seen in your final render, then go the menu bar > Composition > Crop to Region of Interest. This will crop your comp exactly to the new size.

From the small picture you uploaded though, I don't think you will be working in any accepted broadcast format if you crop to those dimensions, just an FYI.

As you are just getting started in AE-I would strongly suggest you check out Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6), there are some great links to free online training that will answer a ton of your questions.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Daniel Skogstad
on Apr 21, 2013 at 4:33:32 pm

Thank you so much for your using your time and giving me this great answer. I have no idea why the picture came out in that size, I have included in this post now.

I tried your suggested methods but I am unable to select the area..

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 21, 2013 at 6:08:21 pm

Which way did you try to reduce the composition?
(also you have to click on the uploaded jpeg, highlight the embed code and paste that into the reply box)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]