ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to extract black background from lower thirds template?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce MacKown
How to extract black background from lower thirds template?
on Apr 21, 2013 at 1:10:35 am

I am using AE CS6 and I recently downloaded the following lower third template:

http://www.videoblocks.com/videos/details/clean-lower-thirds-1---red/grey/

which is described as: HD 1920x1080 @ 29.97 fps Quicktime with Transparent Alpha Channel (.mov)
64.08 MB

I would like to extract the black background so that I can produce a file (avi? mov?) that can be imported to PPRO CS6. The way I'm doing it now, the lower third plays fine but the background is not transparent, it's completely black so obviously that's completely blocking the video I want to place the lower third on top of in the sequence.

Possibly I am just extracting it from AE incorrectly? How does one get a lower third from AE into PPro?

Thanks again guys!

Return to posts index

Ollie Inglis
Re: How to extract black background from lower thirds template?
on Apr 21, 2013 at 9:57:35 am

I would recommend using knoll unmult to remove black background. http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/knoll-unmult-free/

Return to posts index

Bruce MacKown
on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:03:23 pm

Ollie,
I tried Knoll Unmult but I can't figure out how to get it to work.
I copied it to the AE plug-ins folder so it shows up in the list of "Effects & Presets". But I don't know how to apply the effect. I just dragged it and dropped it on the lower third video clip that has the black background that I want to remove. It shows up as an effect (just below the "transform" effect). But the black background is still there. Am I supposed to do anything else?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 21, 2013 at 1:10:22 pm

Open up the file in AE, drop it into a clean comp and press the checkerboard button below the comp-if you see checkerboards, then the file does contain an alpha.

Assuming there is a checkerboard, what are you doing in AE and how then moving it into PPRo? What are your exact render settings?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Bruce MacKown
on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:20:17 pm

Johnny,
Yes there is a checkerboard visible below, so the file contains an alpha (whatever that is, I don't know).

After putting it in the render que, I set the following Output Module Settings:

Format: Quicktime
Post Render Action: None

Video Output:
Channels: RGB + Alpha
Depth: Millions of Colors+
Color: Premultiplied (Matted)

But it still renders a quicktime file with the black background, which when imported into PPro and then dropped into the timeline, blocks everything below.

I'm using these settings as suggested by an employee of videoblocks.com (where I downloaded the template) as a solution to this very same problem.

Honestly I'm freaking shocked at how difficult it is to get this black background out. Why did they put a black background in the first place? Who needs a black background in their lower third template? Perhaps if I knew why its there, I could better understand how to remove it.

Any suggestions you could provide would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 22, 2013 at 5:00:14 pm

Well, if you saw the checkerboard then there isn't a black background. So here's one thing to check, take the file you rendered and bring it back into AE and drop it onto the "Make Comp" icon and hit the checkerboard again. If you see a checkerboard, you are rendering your file correctly and it is not importing into PPRO correctly. If no checkerboard, you aren't rendering your file correctly.

One way to insure you are rendering with an alpha channel is to just choose the lossless template, "Lossless with Alpha".

And an alpha channel is a 8bit grey scale image that determines what is transparent in a video image and what is opaque. Generally(depending on the edit system) if the image is white, that will be full opacity, black will be 0 opacity.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]