ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What is the best way to do a end credits title crawl for a film?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe LemieuxWhat is the best way to do a end credits title crawl for a film?
by on Apr 17, 2013 at 12:04:39 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to do a title crawl for a feature film.

What is the best font and resolution for After Effects to do a title crawl at the end credits.

The version we have of After Effects is 9.0.0346.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: What is the best way to do a end credits title crawl for a film?
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 1:34:37 pm

need a little more information Joe, what is your frame rate & resolution.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Joe LemieuxRe: What is the best way to do a end credits title crawl for a film?
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 3:00:07 pm

Hi Johnny,

Our composition settings are.

Width: 1920 px

Height: 1080 px

Aspect ratio: 16.9

Frame rate: 23.98 frames per second.

Resolution : Full

Thank you for the help, very much appreciated.
Have a great day.

Joe Lemieux
Producer
Burnt Reindeer Productions

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: What is the best way to do a end credits title crawl for a film?
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 4:36:45 pm

I modified the expression in this thread, to have an easy speed controller on the null layer and set the speed to 3(one you get above 5, the credits really start to jitter/jump). That seemed to produce a nice flicker free credit roll. Sometimes a little motion blur might help also. Just apply that expression to your text layer's position and then move the text off screen for the start.

As far as fonts go, you want to be on-board with the graphics team(they might have some branding ideas), but first and foremost, make it legible and easy to read.

I made a project for you to take a look at with my expression modification. 5866_creditcrawl.aep.zip

Also you might want to do a search on the main forum for credit rolls, you will probably find more helpful information.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

John EremicRe: What is the best way to do a end credits title crawl for a film?
by on Sep 30, 2013 at 8:14:36 pm

Hey Joe - in the future you might also want to check out our web-based service at http://endcrawl.com

We provide a workflow to centrally manage credits, make free 1K test renders (currently unlimited for beta customers), and unlimited DPX renders on the paid tier.

If you use After Effects, I second the notion that you should use expressions to always scroll full integer pixels each frame. The challenge becomes hitting your timing, especially on every little revision. That's one thing Endcrawl has solved: our cloud render engine completely re-typesets your scroll on every single output.

Endcrawl is in private beta but has been used on about 50 films so far. Happy to show you how it works.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]