ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Subtle Colour Flickering Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie Inglis
Subtle Colour Flickering Effect
on Apr 17, 2013 at 10:10:01 am

Hi there, new-poster here. I have been trying to find out how to achieve this flcikering colour effect i have seen in a music video for a while now, and just cant seem to do it. The effect i am trying to achieve is used in this video, the effect starts at 52 seconds

At first I thought it was an effect achieved on the day of the shoot, but when flicking through frame by frame - i noticed that it flickers beacause of subtle colour changes. I would suppose colorama would have some part to play - but really cant put my finger on it. Anyone have any good ideas? Would really Appreciate the Help.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Subtle Colour Flickering Effect
on Apr 17, 2013 at 5:10:16 pm

try adding a new adjustment layer (layer>new>adjustment layer) and then adding the hue/saturation effect to the adjustment layer.

key frame the 'master hue' value to do something like 10-20 revolutions over 10 seconds or so. and set the opacity of the adjustment layer to 20-50% and see if that seems close to you.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ollie Inglis
on Apr 17, 2013 at 6:24:47 pm

Thank you very much for the reply- but i dont think it looks quite right yet. ut i have noticed that the colour differences are ultimately quite flat. the colour changes occur over a few frames between the two instances. I have attached a photo for closer inspection. but some colours seem ultimately seem more affected than others - so perhaps a colorama effect? or some usage of layer blending modes?

5859_colourflcik.jpg.zip here is a link to the image

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 17, 2013 at 5:11:05 pm

I think it was done by adding layer of film damage and then using a blending mode like overlay to get the color shifts.

I grabbed a frame from the video and made a project illustrating the technique. 5856_filmoverlayfolder.zip

In this thread there is link to download more free film burns and suggestions on creating your own.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/202/893300#893301

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ollie Inglis
on Apr 17, 2013 at 6:22:30 pm

Thank you very much for the replies, and they both achieved similar effects - but i dont think it looks quite right yet. i think overlaying some film leaks was closer to the overall effect. but i have noticed that the colour differences are ultimately quite flat (so i would presume light leaks would produce slightly different effects, where you can see the lighter and darker patches). the colour changes occur over a few frames between the two instances. I have attached a photo for closer inspection. but some colours seem ultimately seem more affected than others - so perhaps a colorama effect? or some usage of layer blending modes?

5859_colourflcik.jpg.zip here is a link to the image

Thanks very much, Really appreciate you guys helping me out.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 19, 2013 at 12:49:25 pm

I think different blending modes along with different film burn will get you there.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]