ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Efficient way to work with After Effects and previewing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yoshiko TanakaEfficient way to work with After Effects and previewing
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:45:21 pm

Hi,

I am a newbie (initially flash user) and trying to adapt to AE now. One thing I am having a hard time to get used to with AE is that jaggy preview and slow preview play back.

All of my images are either AI file or SWF file which are all vector format. For preview purpose I turn off the "Continuously Rasterize" options so that the animation plays fast. But then without "Continuously Rasterize" all the graphics are extremely jaggy especially when they are scaled up and I can't almost see any details. I have been going back and forth turning on/off the option for every single layer, but this is very time consuming and I am having a hard time to be productive.

I'm wondering how you experts handle this issue? If you have any suggestions or tips I would love to hear them. Thanks again and sorry for asking so many basic boring questions. I'm hoping that there are people like me with similar questions and they benefit from my posts in some way...

y

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Efficient way to work with After Effects and previewing
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:53:18 pm

Are you doing a RAM preview by pressing the "0" button on your number keypad. RAM previews render each frame to your RAM(for as much RAM as you have or for your selected preview region) and then plays it back in real time.

If you are just pressing the play button(spacebar) you will get painfully slow playback for anything that isn't cached to RAM.

Here's more on previewing. After Effects Help /
Previewing

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Efficient way to work with After Effects and previewing
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 7:19:42 pm

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

That page includes lots of tips, like the ones in this video about lowering resolution for previews:
http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/lowering-resolution-for-previews

Don't turn off continuous rasterization just to speed up previews. That changes rendering order, so toggling it affects a lot more than just speed.

I recommend starting here to learn After Effects: http://adobe.ly/bjBT3P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Yoshiko TanakaRe: Efficient way to work with After Effects and previewing
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:29:18 pm

Ok, I see. So you would leave the continuous rasterization option on for all the graphics?

y

Return to posts index

Yoshiko TanakaRe: Efficient way to work with After Effects and previewing
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:25:28 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. As you pointed out I was simply hitting the "play" button and seeing the delayed play back. This makes total sense. This also gives me more reason to add more RAM to my iMac asap. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]