ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to emulate this particle effect's blur?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alvir Dela Cruz
How to emulate this particle effect's blur?
on Apr 11, 2013 at 4:22:46 pm

I'm trying to make a quick video effect that was done in this clip from a japanese TV show. I assume I have a grip on how to make the particles itself, any tips on making it would be appreciated but my question is, how does one go about mimicking the blur and the sparkle effect that's used here?

(0:11-0:15)

Not sure if this is where this question goes, as this is my first post here. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How to emulate this particle effect's blur?
on Apr 11, 2013 at 4:47:35 pm

Do you mean the star like glow the particles have? If that's what you mean, check out Trapcode Starglow.

If you wanted to do it for free, you could come close to that look by just adding a couple of Stylize > Glow effects to your particles(or to an adjustment layer) and changing the glow dimensions to "Vertical" for one, and "Horizontal" to the other and adjusting to taste.
Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Alvir Dela Cruz
on Apr 13, 2013 at 12:40:15 am

The starglow effect works when i play with stylize glow's values, but when making the actual particle effect itself using the glow it keeps turning too white. Any suggestions on how to make the particles? What I'm trying now is particle world and adding another glow adjustment layer to give the edges the blue and green ridges, but it doesn't seem to be turning out well. Again, thanks for the input John, it really helps!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 13, 2013 at 1:44:49 pm

I watched the example video again and the particles seem glowing white to me. If your particles are too white to your taste, there are a lot of settings within starglow you could modify, such as the threshold and boost light, change the input selection. Also you could composite layers together to create the look you want. Say create 2 layers of partcles, apply starglow to the bottom layer, then screen the top layer on top of that layer, so that you keep more of your original color.

Without seeing your project, settings and exactly what you are trying to achieve it's pretty difficult to give you anything more than suggestions, but I hope something I mentioned helps. lastly, check out some of the work/tutorials at Redgiant.com, perhaps something there will help you achieve the desired result.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]