ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Issues with AI with "3D layer" and "Continuously Rasterize" on?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yoshiko Tanaka
Issues with AI with "3D layer" and "Continuously Rasterize" on?
on Apr 11, 2013 at 11:50:33 am

I have a couple of AI files in pre-comp. I used 3D options to give perspective to them in the main timeline. All was fine until when I turned on "Continuously Rasterize" the "3D layer" doesn't work anymore.

Any idea of how to work this around? I suppose that this is quite a newbies question...

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Issues with AI with "3D layer" and "Continuously Rasterize" on?
on Apr 11, 2013 at 12:52:06 pm

Did you enable 3D for the individual layers within the precomps?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Yoshiko Tanaka
on Apr 11, 2013 at 3:08:20 pm

Oh I see. It works now. Thank you! This brings up another question...

I understand that if I use 3D layer in the pre-comp all the child layers also have to have it on. What if I place the pre-comp with 3D layer inside another pre-comp and place it in the main timeline? Does the parent comp also has to have the 3D layer on?

y

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 11, 2013 at 3:28:01 pm

If you have Source Comp(SC), Precomp(PC) and Final Comp(FC), you need to turn on 3d in the SC and to maintain 3d, have to have PC and FC have just continuous rasterize turned on. If you do that, your layers will still be 3D and react to 3D cameras. If you want to re-position the layers in the final comp, then you would need to enable 3d for the layer PC.

I made a quick example project illustrating how this works. Take a look and see if this helps you understand it. If you have any more questions, just ask.

5823_3dexamplecs5.5.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Yoshiko Tanaka
on Apr 11, 2013 at 3:40:41 pm

Thank you for the sample. "Null" and the layer with a camera icon are still a bit too advanced for me at this point... I'm sure I'll have a question soon for them.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 11, 2013 at 3:50:57 pm

A null is just a blank layer that won't render. For creating orbit cameras, it's easiest to create a null and parenting the camera to it. Think of it like a tennis ball(the camera) tied to a string with you in the center. As you move around the tennis ball spins around you in a perfect circle. That's what the camera and null are doing.

If you are just getting started with AE, I would suggest you take a look at some of the resources Todd Kopriva(Adobe) has collected-Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6).

Number 4 has to really good free video learning series you should check out to learn the basics.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]