ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Compositing mountains in to this footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Malcolm BirchCompositing mountains in to this footage
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 12:03:05 pm

Hi there, I have some footage that I would like to add some mountains or some such in to the background of and it's not something I have really learned to do properly before.
I thought maybe you would key it out but the edges of the castle looks really weird then.

Here is a screenshot the footage:
http://media79.net/image/1365249530.jpg

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Compositing mountains in to this footage
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 2:43:08 pm

If the shot isn't moving, I would probably use a mask and just cut the castle. If there is movement in the shot, then you would probably find the rotobrush easier. Rotobrush isn't totally the easiest thing to use, so I would recommend checking out some tutorials. Here's a pretty good one, AfterEffects CS5: RotoBrush

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Malcolm BirchRe: Compositing mountains in to this footage
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 3:35:26 pm

Thanks.
It is indeed static, with a person walking but they do not obscure the area with the sky.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Compositing mountains in to this footage
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 4:57:37 pm

Masking will probably be easiest. You might want to use multiple masks depending on the sharpness of the shapes/stones and such. Also if you have CS6 variable feather will help out also.

Good luck on your project.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Compositing mountains in to this footage
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 3:02:21 pm

I'm going to disagree on masking being the best solution here. Rough masking is a good start but you have a very blown out (almost white) sky that would make it very easy to generate a good matte. Getting the edge detail right in a mask would be a pain.

I've attached a quick sample of how I'd set up my scene if I were you. The "mountains" in my case are just some shape layers but they show where they'd go in the layer stack. The real mountain images you use will likely need some color correction to fit the image nicely.

5797_skykeyfolder.zip

You could also consider adding a correctly exposed sky in your final composite as well. Just be sure that the relative saturation and exposure of the sky don't look too out of place with the desaturated foreground.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Malcolm BirchRe: Compositing mountains in to this footage
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 9:35:25 pm

Thank you Darby, that is very nice of you.

I tried it with masking and it turned out okay apart from some of the edges of the castle looked a bit strange. I will try it your way too though.

An issue I found was getting the footage to look like it belongs there and not like one of those obvious green screen shots in old movies.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Compositing mountains in to this footage
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 12:16:49 am

[Malcolm Birch] "An issue I found was getting the footage to look like it belongs there and not like one of those obvious green screen shots in old movies."

Here's a short look at how you might use color correction to try and make them fit in better:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/coots_brendan/greenscreen.php

Also keep in mind that most distant objects like mountains tend to get a little washed out from atmospheric haze. You can raise the Black Output levels to simulate this.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]