ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Need assistance in rotating/spinning different layers in sync

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mindy SainiNeed assistance in rotating/spinning different layers in sync
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:46:15 pm

I've made a video to highlight my problem, but basically I need these layers to rotated and spin (in a clockwise and counter-closewise direction) in sync with each other. As you can see in the video I made, I'm having trouble keeping them together as they're spinning crazily out of control.
I'm quite new to After Effects, so please give my step-by-step instructions as I don't understand most of the instructions I've found on the internet.

Thanks for helping me everything, I really do appreciate it.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Need assistance in rotating/spinning different layers in sync
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:09:42 pm

Mindy, your layers are not spinning together properly because the anchor points are not centered properly. The anchor point is the point upon which a layer will rotate and scale. To adjust the anchor point, select the layer, and activate the Anchor Point tool by pressing "Y". Now move the anchor point to the center of your circles(the anchor point looks like a tiny blue crosshair).

Not sure about earlier versions of AE, but if you hold down control while moving the anchor point it will snap to the center of your layer. Now in your case, you need to make sure the center of those circles is the center of your layer for the snapping to work.

I made a quick example project to illustrate the problem & solution.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved