ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how do I change order in the timeline?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Castrophow do I change order in the timeline?
by on Mar 29, 2013 at 6:20:07 am

I've been trying but can't seem to find it:
How do I change the order of the footage in the timeline? let's say I have 10 pieces of footage on the timeline and want to put nr 5 at the position of nr 4 and nr 4 at the position of nr5...how do I do that?
thanks
Hans

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: how do I change order in the timeline?
by on Mar 29, 2013 at 11:35:51 am

If you mean stacking order, you left click and hold clip nr5 "Name" in the timeline under the clips "source name" and drag it up or down, a solid black line will appear as you move it indicating where the clip will be placed.

Change the stacking order for selected layers

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ashish GuptaRe: how do I change order in the timeline?
by on Mar 29, 2013 at 11:36:33 am

Hans,

You can simply click and drag layers ..

Alternatively, You can use ctrl/cmd + [,] to move selected layers down or up.

Ashish Gupta
Motiongraphics artist and 3d generalist

aashi.29nov@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Hans CastropRe: how do I change order in the timeline?
by on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:38:45 pm

I don't want to change layers...I only have 1 layer. 10 pieces of of footage one after the other. I want to move piece 5 in front of piece 4 so piece 4 becomes piece 5 and piece 5 becomes piece for. that's all. But it's quite complicated to achieve this, I can't just drag and drop because it overwrites piece4 and leaves a gap where piece 5 was. just exchange places, that's what I would like to do.
Thanks
Hans

Return to posts index

by on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:06:55 pm

If I understand correctly, you have 1 clip, with 10 shots in it, right?

If that's the case, you need to split your layer up. So go to the beginning of shot 4 and press "shift+cntl+d" to add an edit/splits to your layer. Repeat the process until you have a split shot 4 and shot 5 from your single clip and they are individual clips. Now you can "shift+drag" the layers they will snap when they reach the head of the next layer.

You can also use the "I" "O" to move the in and out points of layers, then use "[" "]" to move the layer to the Current Time Indicator(CTI) position.

Hope that explains it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Mar 29, 2013 at 6:38:06 pm

I'll try to use the right words but english isn't my mother tongue, so please forgive me:
I use let's say 10 clips
they are on 1 track already.
I want to put clip5 in front of clip4 (so clip5 becomes clip4) and that without leaving the gap that clip5 leaves. It's very basic really...nothing with different tracks and so on.
In Premiere you hold Ctrl pressed, while dragging the clip to the position you want.(on the same timeline). Then the gap is automaticly filled.
thanks for your help
Hans

Return to posts index

by on Mar 29, 2013 at 7:47:03 pm

I think the problem is you keep saying the 10 clips are on one track. 10 clips would have to be on 10 different layers, they could be in one composition, but not 1 layer/track, so that caused some confusion.

Just shift+click the clip you would like to move(Clip 5) and move it where clip 4 is. If you want to fill the gap that is created, go where the gap ends and press "alt + ]" and that will now extend clip 5's out point to your Current Time Indicator(CTI)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Mar 30, 2013 at 5:09:55 am

I see, thank you for your help and sorry for the confusion.
Hans

Return to posts index

by on Mar 30, 2013 at 12:47:06 pm

I'm not sure if there a way to translate this, but it's the part of the Adobe manual that covers the information you were wanted, maybe it will help for the future.

After Effects /
Selecting and arranging layers

Glad you got it worked out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Mar 30, 2013 at 12:52:57 pm

Thanks John for your input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]