ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating through Z axis

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc LucasAnimating through Z axis
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 11:15:13 am

What is best practice for animating through Z space?

For example a collection of still images all positioned in Z space and a camera is animated through them or would you have a fixed camera and animate the images towards or from behind. I would assume there isn't really a definitive answer but what are the pros and cons of these two methods?

Thanks

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Animating through Z axis
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 11:24:14 am

Generally I find it is easier to animate the camera as you are dealing with one object to animate rather than multiples. Also when you animate the camera, you can bank, zoom, adjust focus and rotate, whereas if you wanted to simulate that by animating your objects to the camera would take keyframes/parenting for every single object.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Animating through Z axis
by on Mar 22, 2013 at 7:26:45 pm

Marc

I concur with John. Animating the camera is much better than animating each and every images separately. You will not get confused with too many keyframes in your timeline.

Check this tutorial on how to link camera to a Null Object to get better control over the camera movement.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/advanced_camera_tips/

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Marc LucasRe: Animating through Z axis
by on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:35:45 am

Thanks guys

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Animating through Z axis
by on Mar 25, 2013 at 2:16:57 pm

Glad to help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Andrew Carfax-FosterRe: Animating through Z axis
by on Nov 23, 2015 at 12:12:08 am

For simple animations I have used a Null object to animate X/Y and another null over the X/Y null to control Z

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]