ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Continuous drop shadow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alistair GallopContinuous drop shadow
by on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:00:48 pm

Really basic question...

How to I add a drop shadow that will be continuous round an object? In the same way I would use an outer glow in photoshop?

thanks, Ali

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Continuous drop shadow
by on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:53:04 pm

There are a lot of different ways to do this, here are a couple to get you started.

You could use the effect - Perspective > Drop Shadow and set the distance to 0 and just increase the softness to get the desired effect.

Another method would be to go to Layer > Layer Styles and apply the Photoshop drop shadow on to your layer and adjust to taste. Also you could just use the outer glow effect.

You could also use a stroke on your text/object layers by using 2 layers. Add a stroke to the bottom layer and blur that. But if you are making a lot of changes, you will want to figure out precomps, parenting and some expressions, so that when you make a change to your master layer, it updates your blur layer.

I made a simple example project that should help you determine a method that will work for you:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved