ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Duplicating layers question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian FidlerDuplicating layers question
by on May 5, 2014 at 1:05:27 am

Hi: I'm fairly new at this. I have a template which I am editing. Basically it's like a slideshow and the composition has about 20 scenes which include several effects and a photo. I want to add more scenes to this composition. However, when I duplicate a scene and try to replace the photograph it replaces the photo in the previous scene as well. it's like they are linked. I've tried everything and researched to no avail. I'm sure this is probably a simple solution. Hope it makes sense.

Lillian Fidler
Jillian Productions
St. John's, Newfoundland

Return to posts index

Ryan DawsonRe: Duplicating layers question
by on May 9, 2014 at 3:23:54 am

Sounds like you are duplicating the composition or "scene" within the timeline. Duplicate the comp in the project window, then put that new comp in your timeline instead. You can then open that comp and replace the photo with any picture you want.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Duplicating layers question
by on May 5, 2014 at 1:50:49 pm

When you make duplicates of precomps/layers, where you duplicate it makes a difference if you are making a copy of what you have or are you creating a new asset. Also, when working with Comps, that have precomps, with precomps inside those--unless you make all new precomps and nest them properly inside, when you duplicate you will end up with links to the original.

Here's a simple example to illustrate what's happening. Create a new composition and name it "Final". Make a type layer "Text 1". Precomp the layer by selecting it, and "shift+cntl+c" and call it "Text 1". Now from within "Final" press "cntl+d" to duplicate the layer "Text 1", move the 2nd layer, so you can see both at the same time. You have 2 text layers, step inside 1 of them and change the text, go to "Final" and you will see, that the text is the same for both. It's because even though you have 2 layers, they are the same thing. Look in your project window, there's is only 1 precomp and it's named "Text 1". All you've done is just told AE, use this asset twice in the project.

Delete the 2nd text layer from "Final". Go to the project window, select "Text 1" and press "cntl+d". Now you have 2 assets. Drop that into Final, and change the text inside, and you will have 2 different layers of text.

You can see how this could get really complicated when you have lots of nested precomps. Here's a great script, that allows you to select a composition in the project panel and make a complete duplicate with all new links and assets---it's makes duplicating lots of nested comps a snap. True Comp Duplicator

Hope my explanation was understandable.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved