ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a path to move both text, image layer and masks together

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeanette Wilkinson
Creating a path to move both text, image layer and masks together
on Mar 12, 2013 at 5:18:34 am

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to Adobe After Effects and apologies if this is a really simple solution but I appreciate your feedback:

I have some 3 photos over which I added some text, subtracted it so I could see through it and then added a stroke/mask for each individual letter to create the vintage postcard effect where the inside of the text also has a white border.

I therefore now have one Text layer, and one pre-composed layer with all of the individual text masks and the stroke that created the white outline for the letters.

How can I now create a path for this entire composition? I'd like to add a curve to the entire image/text rather than it be in a straight line.

If I create another pre-comp from these 2 layers, I can't seem to select the entire image to add a path.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Creating a path to move both text, image layer and masks together
on Mar 12, 2013 at 12:10:43 pm

One approach is to use a mask as a path, twirl open your text > Path Options > Path and choose the mask as the path. Copy the mask to the other text layers. You can create a "parent" mask that controls the child masks also, so you only have to adjust one path. Just copy the first mask to the child layers, open up the mask properties, alt-click on "mask path" and pick whip that to your "parent" mask path.

I made an example project that should help you start out: 5641_curvetext.zip

Also, under the obsolete effects is a Path Text effect that will accomplish what you want, but if you use that, you are giving up a lot of control and animation properties that you have with the text tool.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jeanette Wilkinson
on Mar 13, 2013 at 6:38:36 am

Hi John,

Thank you very much for those suggestions and for the sample project. Looking forward to checking that out!

Thanks very much for your time!

Jeanette

Return to posts index

Jeanette Wilkinson
on Mar 14, 2013 at 4:45:10 am

Hi John,

I am trying to do something similar to what you described but I'm wondering if it's possible given that one of my layers is now a pre-comp with all the individual masks for each letter. Would you mind taking a quick look at this screen shot of where I am at and adding any pointers on what I might be doing wrong? I created another line mask in the pre-comp, copied it to the text and told the text layer that the pre-comp was its parent and to follow that path...but not sure how to define the parent mask as such.
screenshot2013-03-13at9.37.59pm.png

Thanks in advance John!

Jeanette

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Mar 12, 2013 at 8:03:44 pm

Jeanette

I have some 3 photos over which I added some text, subtracted it so I could see through it and then added a stroke/mask for each individual letter to create the vintage postcard effect where the inside of the text also has a white border.

Can you upload the text image that you have created so that If possible I can give you an alternative method to create that without using Precomps.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Jeanette Wilkinson
on Mar 13, 2013 at 6:37:13 am

Hi Vishesh,

Thanks for your reply.

Here is a screen shot of what I have right now...

Return to posts index

Ashish Gupta
on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:44:24 am

Jeanette,

Instead of using masks on the precomp why dont u just duplicate the Text layer with path and use that as an alpha matte ...

Here's a quick example:

5652_curvetext.rar.zip

Ashish Gupta
Motiongraphics artist and 3d generalist

aashi.29nov@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeanette Wilkinson
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:03:25 am

Hi Ashish,

Thank you very much for preparing the file. It has a "rar" ext however, and doesn't appear to be recognized by AE.

Would you be able to re-upload the AE file?

Thanks in advance!

Jeanette

Return to posts index

Jeanette Wilkinson
on Mar 17, 2013 at 3:58:57 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to share where I am at with this. Would appreciate any further suggestions. Given the images are wrapped up in the pre-comp, I wasn't sure how duplicating the text layer alone would help - as I need to move those with the text as one piece. Therefore, I have attempted to create a Parent Mask in my text layer (first image below) and then started to create an Expression for each letter Mask in the Pre-Comp (second image). However, now my images are simply disappearing. I may be totally off track...with more experience I'm sure I'd have this licked in a few minutes but it's taking me hours to figure out. I really want to learn however and really appreciate any further feedback :) Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Jeanette Wilkinson
on Mar 25, 2013 at 4:23:04 am

Thanks everyone. I have resolved the issue and learned a lot in the process! Jeanette

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]