ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using a vector shape layer to reveal another layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Gibson
Using a vector shape layer to reveal another layer
on Mar 2, 2013 at 3:29:51 pm

I am trying to build an animation where a vector shape imported from Illustrator reveals some text (also a vector from AI) as it moves across the stage. I have been using a mask on the text and manually animating it to the movement of the vector shape. The issue is that every time I change the speed of the shape's movement, I have to re keyframe the mask on the text. This seems like a very clumsy way to achieve my desired result.

Is there a way to link/parent a mask in the text layer to the vector shape? I have read that you can turn the vector shape into an AE shape layer, then copy the shape path to the mask in the text layer but I have not been able to get this to work. No matter what I do, the mask will not accept the outline/path of the shape layer.

I have searched extensively and can't find any tutorial/explanation which prompts me to think I'm not searching the right terms.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Using a vector shape layer to reveal another layer
on Mar 2, 2013 at 4:52:46 pm

Unless I'm missing something you should just use the vector shapes alpha as a matte for your text. To do this you would just need to place your shape above the text layer, and in the column "TrkMat" change the text's matte to Alpha Matte.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jesse Gibson
on Mar 2, 2013 at 5:06:08 pm

Hi John

Thanks for your help.

I actually want the vector shape (in this case a plane) to act like a mask and reveal the text (like a mask set to add) as it moves over it so that it remains on screen after the plane has continued (rather than just being visible through the plane shape as with a track matte). I had in mind to extend the size of the mask once the plane has passed through so that the text would remain visible.

Let me know if this is not making sense - I'm not sure I'm explaining it very clearly.

Jesse

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 2, 2013 at 5:40:18 pm

I think a simpler way would be to parent a large solid to your vector shape and use that as an alpha matte for your text. I made a real simple project that should give you some ideas on how to do this.

I'm sure there are ways to control a mask with the position properties of another layer, but I think my way will achieve the same result and if you make changes to your vector position/timing, your text layer will update accordingly.

5566_textrevealcs5.5.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Jesse Gibson
on Mar 2, 2013 at 6:14:42 pm

That's a perfect solution. Simple and effective.

Thanks so much - I've been melting my brain for days trying to achieve this and I knew there had to be a simple way to do it but I couldn't seem to stop over-engineering it.

Really appreciate the demo project too - above and beyond the call of duty.

Have a great weekend.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 3, 2013 at 2:09:51 am

Sometimes it just takes a different, perspective, but glad to help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]