ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Really need some basic advice!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie ToothReally need some basic advice!
by on Feb 22, 2013 at 6:29:16 pm

I'm a bit of a newbie to after effects (cs6)but i'm really trying to get to grips with everything. Anyway, I need a bit of help, I have two videos, one of a girl crying, and another of 'bullies' shouting abuse at the camera.

My idea is to have these bullies come from the right of the screen to the left on top of the girl who's crying. I've filmed on a green screen so the bullies have a transparent background (only their faces are visible).

Basically, how on earth do I do this!?

Thanks so much in advance!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Really need some basic advice!
by on Feb 22, 2013 at 9:26:46 pm

If the bullies are already on a transparent background, then you just overlay their layer on top of the layer with the girl.

Compositing is rarely that simple, though; the devil is in the details. When you need help with those details, be sure to post screenshots so that we can see exactly what you're seeing.

Start here to learn After Effects:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Really need some basic advice!
by on Feb 23, 2013 at 1:41:51 pm

You would use one of the keying tools to do this. It's a bit more complicated than the others, but if you have a good key, "Keylight" should do the trick. If your key isn't that good(bad lighting, shadows...) then you you will have more work to achieve a clean key.

As Todd said, if you start keying and aren't getting it to come out well, post some screen shots and we'll see what specific steps you need to take.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved