ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keyboard shortcut for fast previews

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul RoperKeyboard shortcut for fast previews
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 3:26:21 pm

Hello,

I'm constantly switching between Fast Draft / Adaptive Resolution / Off (Final quality) in the Fast Previews menu. I'd love to use a keyboard shortcut for this, but can't find one anywhere. I tried making a Keyboard Maestro shortcut, but without knowing the exact name of the pop-up menu, it's impossible to get it to work. I've even loaded up the Accessibility Inspector from Apple's XCode to inspect the menu element, but it does not give any useful data. I've also tried using AppleScript and Automator - Automator just crashes.

Anyone know how easy it would be to write an AE script to do this? I could then set the script to run from a keystroke.

Any suggestions, or should I just put in a feature request to Adobe?

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Keyboard shortcut for fast previews
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:32:41 pm

Paul

If you want to know about scripting, Post this question at Adobes After Effects Expressions Forum. You might get your answer quickly.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: Keyboard shortcut for fast previews
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:45:33 pm

Yeah - I thought I'd try posting it here, hoping that I'd get a simple answer along the lines of "shift-command-8 changes the preview quality". But as I was typing it, I experimented with various options and it kinda grew out of all proportion. So yeah, I'll repost it on the expressions (aka Dan Ebberts) forum.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Keyboard shortcut for fast previews
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:59:04 pm

If an After Effects shortcut isn't listed here, it doesn't exist:
After Effects keyboard shortcuts reference

Yes, submitting a feature request is a good idea:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:27:36 pm

Huh. Looks like the AE wishlist web page has broken. I just get a page with nothing but "413 Header Length too Large" on it, whether I go via Todd's link or from within AE.

I've just checked again and it works in Safari - maybe my Firefox is being dodgy.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:30:22 pm

It works for me. Try again. If it fails again, tell me about your browser so that I can pass that along to the folks who maintain that part of the site.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:38:05 pm

I restarted Firefox and it works fine.

Feature request submitted!

Just out of interest, how many After Effects feature requests per day does Adobe get?

- Paul

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:39:48 pm

It differs depending on time of year, et cetera, but it's in the small number of thousands per year. And I get to read them all.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:41:47 pm

...So probably about 5% of them must be from me!

- Paul

Return to posts index

Jonathan WingRe: Keyboard shortcut for fast previews
by on Feb 28, 2013 at 5:10:54 pm

I will second the need for this. I've been having to switch these settings constantly on a project and in my opinion, more important than creating a keystroke for this specific thing, would be to give us an editable shortcut menu where we could define our own. Will also submit a feature request!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]