ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best practice for converting 24p to 30p

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Edwards
Best practice for converting 24p to 30p
on Feb 14, 2013 at 3:13:02 pm

Hello,

I realize there are a lot of questions of this nature... what I'm trying to figure out is what the differences might be in the approaches I'm trying and some advice on best practice if anyone has found a sweet spot. I have been given 1080p 24fps footage from multi-camera shoot where the rest of the cameras are 29.97 1080p. I have to convert the problem footage from 23.98 to 29.97 so that the multiple cameras/sound will line up correctly. Just pulling the 24 footage into the 30 timeline in Premiere doesn't seem to be the way to go. So here's what I've tried:

- I've tried simply using AE's frame blending in the comp, importing 23.98 clips and dropping to a comp, changing comp frame rate to 29.97. and rendering. This keeps the duration.

- I've tried using Andrew Kramer's frame rate conversion preset (which seems to just time warp and interpolate the footage.)

- I've tried various MP render settings (and mostly have remained frustrated at inconsistent results, various errors sometimes, sometimes not. IMO AE makes this WAY too much of a tweakfest.)

The Andrew Kramer preset method is a lot slower. I need to do this for about an hour of footage in about 20 clips unfortunately, so I'm trying to figure out what the best practice here might be so I can standardize my approach.

All I'm trying to do is conform the 24 footage to a 30 timeline, not convert for broadcast. Anyone found a tried and true method for this?

Thanks,

Learning. Always.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best practice for converting 24p to 30p
on Feb 14, 2013 at 5:10:51 pm

If you don't mind the look of the motion of the 24p footage, don't sweat it. Your footage is either already at 29.97 because it was shot that way, or it's at 23.976 -- the REAL film frame rate in NTSC-land about 90% of the time -- and you can add pulldown to it.

Drag it into a 23.976 comp, add the comp to the render queue, then select add 3:2 pulldown. Select any one of the 5 patterns: there's no best one. Upper field first.

If you want to fake the somewhat-smoother motion of 29.97, or you absolutely have to have progressive video, you'll need a pricey plugin ($600) like Twixtor. It does a good job, but it's not the easiest or fastest thing to use on the planet.

What really concerns me is this: why 30 fps? There's nothing sacred about it. 29.97 is just fine. 29.97 gets used for video playback on computers all the time. Besides, you'd have to convert all the current 29.97 footage to 30 as well.

If someone wants you to deliver 30, I recommend double-checking to ensure they really mean 30 and not 29.97.

I get the feeling there are a few facts missing. Can you elaborate on the situation?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Edwards
on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:51:30 pm

Thanks, yes, sorry, the footage is 23.976 and the target timelines are 29.97. I referenced "30" and "24" incorrectly.

The reason I ask is because it's a multicam setup and the other cameras are at 29.97. This one got screwed up and is at 23.97. So I want to get them matched up. All progressive DSLR footage.

I don't "need" to match the motion perfectly but had just assumed that if I were dropping 23.97 clips into 29.97 sequences in Premiere that things would look a bit choppy, if it was just adding frames to compensate.

Truthfully the issue of pulldown is confusing to me as I thought it was only for interlaced footage. Thanks much for the reply.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 16, 2013 at 11:05:16 pm

If all the footage is progressive, you will no doubt want to make the frame rate conversion progressive, too. ESPECIALLY if playback is intended to be viewed on computers and not TV sets.

I'm afraid that means using the pricey plugin mentioned earlier. Sorry. Somebody made a simple, but expensive, mistake.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 17, 2013 at 5:32:04 am

You could try turning on frame blending when converting. It won't be as good as Twixtor but it might work.

Return to posts index

David Edwards
on Feb 19, 2013 at 3:52:24 pm

Thanks, I did take your advice, tried a couple of options, retiming, frame blending, and then... just dropping the 23.97 footage in a 29.97 sequence in PPro. Oddly enough, just dropping it in and not converting anything rendered results that seem just as good if not better than what I was getting from hours of rendering in AE.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, am I missing something that will jump up and bite me later here? I honestly can't see any stutter in the footage, which is confusing me a bit I have to admit.

Learning. Always.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]