ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Morphing a letter into a logo

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vicki Williams
Morphing a letter into a logo
on Feb 10, 2013 at 3:20:19 am

Please forgive me, I am extremely new to After Effects. I am morphing a letter into a logo using mask paths. While morphing the two shapes, there are anchor points from the original letter I do not need for the logo shape. However when I delete them, the original letter shape is changed. Is there a way I can delete anchor points without altering the shape of the original form?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Morphing a letter into a logo
on Feb 10, 2013 at 4:32:34 am

First of all, be careful with the terminology: Anchor points are something entirely different in After Effects. The term for mask path points is 'vertex'.

That said, why is it important for you to delete these points?

Are you using smart mask interpolation?
http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/animating-shape-paths-masks.html...
It makes interpolating between shapes with different numbers of points easier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 10, 2013 at 4:35:08 am

BTW, I recommend starting here to learn After Effects: http://adobe.ly/bjBT3P

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Vicki Williams
on Feb 10, 2013 at 5:47:30 am

No I'm not, but that looks like it will help. I need to delete the points simply because there are too many of them and the path is not smooth. I am taking a letter, and morphing it into a logo, then making that logo change shape. (The logo is an animal and it has to sit, run etc.) The shape of the mask path is constantly changing so I am adding and deleting vertexes, trying to make it move as smoothly as possible.

Also, when I pasted my mask shape from Illustrator, the layer shrunk to the size of the mask. Whenever I try to make the layer larger, it makes the mask shape larger as well. Is there a way to enlarge the layer without effecting the mask shape?

Thank you for any assistance and please forgive my terminology and lack of knowledge.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 10, 2013 at 4:36:05 am

Sorry, you need those vertex's to create the shape. You will need to figure out how to have the same amount for both the letter and the logo.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Brian Collins
on Feb 16, 2013 at 6:08:47 am

Use Flame? ;)

Brian Collins
Birmingham, AL
http://www.atomicpix.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]