ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What's the difference between using Parenting, Adjustment Layer, and highlighting all layers and make changes to them

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian LeeWhat's the difference between using Parenting, Adjustment Layer, and highlighting all layers and make changes to them
by on Feb 9, 2013 at 12:48:57 pm

So, what is the nuance(s) of using Parenting and just by highlighting all the layers and modify their properties? Why use Parenting when you already can just highlight all the layers and Rotate all of them? Also what is the difference you use Adjustment Layer and Parenting? Is it the matter of ease and time-saving?

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: What's the difference between using Parenting, Adjustment Layer, and highlighting all layers and make changes to them
by on Feb 9, 2013 at 1:07:09 pm

Sebastian

I think you are not familiar with the AE.

Also what is the difference you use Adjustment Layer and Parenting?

Adjustment layer and Parenting are totally different features of AE.

You can search all info about these terms in Adobe After Effects Help Document.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: What's the difference between using Parenting, Adjustment Layer, and highlighting all layers and make changes to them
by on Feb 9, 2013 at 1:35:27 pm

Parenting allows one parent to control the children. For instance in rotation, if you parent one layer to another, the child can be made to rotate around the parent instead of rotating around it's own axis.

Adjustment layers are take all the layers below them and look at them as one layer. So if you have 15 different pictures and you want all of them to be sepia tone, you can create an adjustment layer and put on the CC Toner and make them sepia. And if you decide to change the color, you only have to change the effect on the adjustment layer. If you'd applied that effect to all 15 layers, you would have to make 15 changes, so it's a big time saver.

I would strongly suggest you start here to get a grasp of the basic fundamentals of AE: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: What's the difference between using Parenting, Adjustment Layer, and highlighting all layers and make changes to them
by on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:17:39 pm

Please follow John's advice.

Also, often the best way to get a definition or explanation for a basic feature or term is like this:
http://bit.ly/TYEwCH

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]