ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do i get this very common action scene strobey effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sidney BouhannaHow do i get this very common action scene strobey effect?
by on Feb 2, 2013 at 7:19:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm directing a music video and for a few scenes, i want to use this overly common effect , you can find in gladiator fight scenes, or Crank with jason statham, and 90% of action films and music videos lately.
This kinda speed /slow effect.. I guess it about removing a few frames from the original high speed shot or something. But it should exist a plugin that give you this effect in no time in AE, i guess?

I just cannot put a name on this effect , so it's pretty hard to find a tutorial when you don't know how it's called...

the whole movie is shot with this technique:

49 sec of this clip and most of the video :

Please help me ,as its been a few day ,that i'm looking for an answer.. (ps: sorry for being a noob on this one)

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: How do i get this very common action scene strobey effect?
by on Feb 3, 2013 at 6:20:48 am

Much of the result is because the movies are shot with a low shutter angle / high shutter speed. The frame rate is normal, but each frame is exposed for a very short time, meaning that there is almost no motion blur, which leaves a jerky, stobe-like result.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Sidney BouhannaRe: How do i get this very common action scene strobey effect?
by on Feb 3, 2013 at 7:13:48 am

What would be the name of this technique?
Is there any way to have an effect close to that result with after effect or any other plugin?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: How do i get this very common action scene strobey effect?
by on Feb 4, 2013 at 3:03:21 am

No, you can't easily do this in post, since it would require removing motion blur. Shoot that way.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]