ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Illustrator trasform effect in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
giacomo citti
Illustrator trasform effect in After Effects
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:06:34 am

Hi everyone!
I like the ability of illustrator to duplicate object and move/rotate them at the same time.
I'm talking about effect-->distort&transform-->transform

I wonder if there is such a tool in After Effects. Anyone knows?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English, I'm a poor Italian guy : )

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Illustrator trasform effect in After Effects
on Feb 1, 2013 at 1:04:48 am

You can replicate this effect in AE by using the shape tool and by adding a repeater to it. To recreate what was there, create a new composition. In your tools, go to the polygon tool and create a shape layer. The polygon shape starts with 5 points, so twirl open "Polystar 1", twirl open "Polystar Path 1" and change the points to 6. If you have fill turned on either delete the Fill or change it's opacity to 0.

Now click the "Add" flyout and choose "Repeater". Twirl open the repeater properties and twirl open "Transform: Repeater 1" Change the "Position" to 0,0. Change the copies to 10. Increase the scale(in my example I used 105%). Now you can use the rotation to get the cool designs.

Take a look at this example project. 5355_shaperepeater.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

giacomo citti
on Feb 1, 2013 at 1:32:43 pm

Thanks a lot!
The only difference between After Effects and Illustrator is that scaling with AE affects stroke size
but I assume because AE works with raster objects.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:05:23 pm

Well I was glad I could help. Had a thought about the scale and stroke width, you could use an expression that ties the stroke width to the scale. This is exactly a perfect solution as scale moves exponentially, but it would keep it proportionally tied together. If you did some math(more math than I'm can do, you could probably get it to work perfectly)

myScale = content("Polystar 1").content("Repeater 1").transform.scale[0];
startWidth = 20;
endWidth = 5;
startScale = 0;
endScale = 200;
linear(myScale, startScale, endScale, startWidth, endWidth)

I made a quick little project so you could play with this: 5359_scalestrokewidth.aep.zip

In my example the scaling is limited to affecting the stroke width between 0 and 200, but you can change that by changing the input variables. So if you knew you were going to keep the scale between 75% and 150%, you would change startScale and endScale. Same goes with the stroke width, just adjust startWidth and endWidth.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

giacomo citti
on Feb 4, 2013 at 3:28:25 pm

thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/giacomogiacomo/

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:32:16 pm

Glad I was able to help

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]