ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Anchor point issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig RickerAnchor point issue
by on Jan 24, 2013 at 1:04:53 am

This has got to be so simple and every post i've read makes it sound so! But for the life of me it aint working.

I have a picture layer in my composition. With 2 position keyframes. I simply want to move the anchor point to an edge so I can rotate the picture along that edge. I do not wish to move the picture from its current location.

So I use the pan behind tool. BUT.....

It does not select the anchor point but rather moves the position keyframes. I cannot get it to move the anchor point. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Anchor point issue
by on Jan 24, 2013 at 1:31:00 am

from After Effects Help:
"Note: Moving an anchor point with the Pan Behind (Anchor Point) tool changes Position and Anchor Point values so that the layer remains where it was in the composition before you moved the anchor point. To change only the Anchor Point value, Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) with the Pan Behind (Anchor Point) tool."

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Craig RickerRe: Anchor point issue
by on Jan 24, 2013 at 2:26:20 am

So I have a layer moving from the direct left off screen to the middle of the screen. horizontal movement

2 position keyframes.

I then desire to move the anchor point from the middle of that layer to its bottom right edge.

I use the pan behind tool. But it moves only 1 of the position keyframes rather than both, and so even though the anchor point is now in the correct position the first position keyframe is now higher than the second position keyframe and so the layer moves into the center of the screen from a diagonal direction from the top left.

How can I have it so that it adjusts all the position keyframes the same amount so that the position movements are varied?

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Anchor point issue
by on Jan 24, 2013 at 8:23:28 am

I think you have not followed what Todd has suggested.

Press Alt(+ Shift, if you want it exactly above the previous position) and the drag the Anchor point.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Anchor point issue
by on Jan 24, 2013 at 5:23:44 pm in other words, you're just working in the incorrect order.

The problem is easily solved by putting the anchor point where you want it before you do anything else, and THEN you put the layer into the proper position. You shouldn't have any problems after that.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig RickerRe: Anchor point issue
by on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:20:51 pm

You are correct of course, I was just curious about fixing it after I had made the mistake of first building the movement points.

Or if I had a situation where I wished to move the anchor point mid way through an animation.

I find if I use the Alt + Drag option it does indeed move just the anchor point, and then I have to readjust the position keyframes as a whole to move it back into position. Not too bad a solution after all.

Many thanks everyone

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved