ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Transition from several windows|Quads turning randomly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leandro Sarmento da SilvaTransition from several windows|Quads turning randomly
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 1:33:07 pm

look this animation, specifically in 00;51

begins an animation of various (windows | squares) Turning randomly to show another image ...
Consider, Shadow, Reflection and other propiedades, I believe that has been done in 3D.
Does anyone know of any tutorials? Whether on or after any other software?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Transition from several windows|Quads turning randomly
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 3:49:08 pm

You could build this in a 3D app, but unless you could create a very reasonable copy using After Effects. Using the card wipe, bevel and drop shadow, I made a pretty comparable effect. The trick to creating the "randomness" for the card wipe is by using a gradient layer to drive the effect. By creating a precomp that contained fractal noise with the contrast turned way up, you get the random card flipping. Card wipe has built in lighting to provide doesn't create shadows though. In the transition, they had the video stay in the back as it flipped, so I changed the ambient light to 1, to match the video.

Another thing I did was scale everything up to 102% to hide the bevel. If you scale down to 100% you would see it around the edge of the screen and you don't want that.

Here's a quick project I created, it should give you a nice starting point, if you have any questions let me know:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Transition from several windows|Quads turning randomly
by on Jan 24, 2013 at 7:47:46 am

You can also manually create the box shapes and animate as required.

See the tutorial

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved