ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how do i mask a moving object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lauren harrison
how do i mask a moving object
on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:37:32 pm

im wanting to mask an erratic moving object such a dancer to eliminate the background footage so it can be placed on a different backgound. i have used the pen tool but can not seem to alter it frame by frame, (the shape created stays the same) how can i make it so i can change the shape with each frame?

any help will be appriciated, many thanks

ºººøøøøººººøøøøººººº

Return to posts index

Shakka Philip
Re: how do i mask a moving object
on Jul 22, 2014 at 10:56:57 pm

Hey Lauren.

I was doing some research, scouring sites through Google for the same thing, and found:

SliceX - "an FCPX plug-in that lets you create instant Shape Masks to cut out layers or isolate effects directly in Final Cut Pro X".

Pretty much allows you to do exactly what you need to.

- Skip to 5:15 in the video. Personally, I'm gonna buy it tomorrow.

You're welcome. (He says a year after the request for help - haha).

Shakka

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:59:33 pm

First off, if you have one of the newer versions of AE(CS5+) you should be using the rotobrush tool to isolate a person from a background.

AfterEffects CS5: RotoBrush

But if you want to use the Mask tool, once you create the first mask, you need to keyframe the "Mask Path" by pressing the stopwatch icon. If you don't see mask path right now, select your layer and press "M" that will twirl open the mask path properties.

If you are just starting with AE you really should check out: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6). I would suggest you run through the Video Copilot Basic training at a minimum which you will find on that page.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:20:18 pm

The technique you describe is known as Rotoscoping. It's not for the faint of heart, those pressed for time nor those just beginning in After Effects.

If you're resolved to carry on, you should study the following Rotoscoping resources in AE's Help, and use the ones you can:
http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/animating-shape-paths-masks.html...

...and good luck! If you've never done this sort of thing before, you'll need it.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just being realistic. People specialize as roto artists because it's so demanding & painstaking, and they're in great demand.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 22, 2013 at 7:16:03 pm

Agree with everything Dave said, Roto is tough, tedious and time-consuming work

One more little piece of advice, if you have to roto and you can afford it, get a Wacom tablet. Takes a few days to get used to it, but it really helps with the fine detail work you will encounter when roto-scoping.

Get back to us if you have any specific questions and Good Luck.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]