ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Unsure of How to Change Color over Time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin OBrien
Unsure of How to Change Color over Time
on Jan 12, 2013 at 9:52:40 pm

In the attached screen shot is a sequence imported into AE from Premiere (I'm working is CS5) The video clip is one sequence... I no longer have the individual titles and footage in the project. In the sequence the light (illuminating the "G" in the still) moves from left to right and I need the word "Garrett" and the white portions of the upper titles to all turn red following movement of the light. Any suggestions to do this with masks and gradients or...?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Unsure of How to Change Color over Time
on Jan 12, 2013 at 11:50:23 pm

What you need to do is create an alpha channel with what you have. Fortunately, you are working over a black background, so this it's pretty easy to do. There are tools within AE, but the quickest way will be to install the free plugin from knoll Unmult.

Once you have it installed, duplicate your layer and apply unmult to your layer. You will have an alpha channel now, but it will need to be adjusted. Change your color mode of the comp to from RGB to Alpha, and apply a levels effect to your layer. Change the levels channel to alpha and adjust the "alpha input white". From your example I cranked it all the way down to 47. Now you can add an adjustment layer and apply CC Light Sweep. Animate the light sweep and use the alpha layer we created as a track matte to constrain the light sweep to just the text.

For the white to red effect, I duplicated the original layer again and added the effect Channels > Set Matte and for "Use For Matte" I chose the Red Channel. If you look at the individual channels the red has the greatest contrast. Then I used a levels affect again to affect the alpha channel(Alpha Input White = 157). Finally I used a Simple Choker with a negative value to expand the red a bit, play with this to taste. Finally I animated a red solid with an angled mask(to match the light sweep) and a large feather and used the layer as a track matte. Composite all together and it creates the effect you described, if I read what you were describing correctly.

Here's my work project: 5215_alphachannelcreationfolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kevin OBrien
on Jan 13, 2013 at 2:15:10 am

Thanks for the input and link to Unmult, which I installed. For some reason my AE won't open your files in the zip folder. I'm new to Unmult and Alpha Channels...so I'll bone up on videos of both tonight and see if I can make this work tomorrow. I'll post additional questions if I get hung up. Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 13, 2013 at 2:55:58 am

what version and computer are you using? I can save back to CS5, if it will help you.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Kevin OBrien
on Jan 13, 2013 at 3:23:57 am

I have cs5 windows thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 13, 2013 at 2:24:02 pm

Here's a CS5 version of what I did to achieve the effect, if you have any questions let me know.

5219_alphachannelcreationfolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]