ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Layer Rotation = Loss of Quality

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Salvador De la Rey
After Effects Layer Rotation = Loss of Quality
on Jan 10, 2013 at 8:15:29 am

Hi I am having a problem applying the "Demon face" liquify technique to my footage.

The technique itself isn't the problem.

It is that as soon as any rotation is applied to the footage (1280x720p) a lot of softening blur is introduced, and too much detail is lost.

I have searched thoroughly for a workaround to my problem, and have settled on upscaling the footage to 2560x1440 before working on the reverse stabilisation/liquify process.

I am using AE CS6, have confirmed in independent test that it is definitely just the layer rotation causing this loss of quality.

Is the loss of quality introduced by layer rotation inevitable or is there a way to avoid it? Even at 2560x1440 I notice slight blurriness.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: After Effects Layer Rotation = Loss of Quality
on Jan 10, 2013 at 3:07:31 pm

Generally, whenever you rotate an object you are going to lose a little clarity, it's the nature of video & pixels. If you think you are losing more quality than normal, post a couple captures of the image straight and rotated and we can take a look and see if there is anything we can suggest.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Salvador De la Rey
on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:53:05 am

Thanks for responding. Here is an example, the first being the original, the second being rotated 10 degrees in a precomp, then rotated -10degrees to straighten it back up which is what that liquify tracking technique needs.

The liquify filter wont be used for extreme warping just touch ups so it would be good to keep the fidelity of the original image if possible.

EDIT: [removed my example shots]

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:08:56 pm

that's just what happens when you rotate the image. If you download the project from video copilot, you will see that the exact same thing happens-detail is loss in the actor Sam. There really isn't anything you can do to avoid that loss in this type of project.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Salvador De la Rey
on Jan 11, 2013 at 6:31:14 pm

Ah good to know thanks. Have settled on using the Sharpen effect to bring back some detail, seems to do the trick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]