ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects renders incredibly slowly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane SackettAfter effects renders incredibly slowly
by on Jan 5, 2013 at 7:31:58 pm

Hi,

I originally posted a question asking how I could speed up the rendering times for my Adobe Creative Suite (I mainly use Premiere CS6 and AE CS6), since the average render times for a 45 second 1080p DSLR video clip with minor color correction were around 3 hours, which is crazy. Everyone suggested I upgrade my RAM, so I swapped my 4GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM for 16GB of the same type. Render times have improved a slight bit, but the same types of clips still take about an hour (and sometimes more) to render. Why is this?? I will list what I edit with below, I really hope someone can help me. I am desperate for an answer, and no one seems to be able to give me a straight one. Thanks.

I edit using a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, with 16gb 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM. My internal hard drive is a 5400 rpm SATA drive. Graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB. I also have connected a LaCie 2Big Quadra 4 TB hard drive, and I have the programs cache and write all previews/scratch disks to it. I also keep on the hard drive my source footage and project files.

I have heard two answers from friends, I'd like to get second opinions as well. One says that upgrading to an SSD drive would greatly improve speeds. The other says that upgrading my graphics card would helps speeds. Is there any validity to either of these suggestions???

-Shane

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After effects renders incredibly slowly
by on Jan 5, 2013 at 7:51:48 pm

> MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz

If you're using DSLR footage, your biggest bottleneck is often the speed of decoding, which is done on a single thread on the CPU, so your slow CPU is likely doing a lot the damage to your processing times.

> My internal hard drive is a 5400 rpm SATA drive

That hard disk drive doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for After Effects. It is very slow.

> I also have connected a LaCie 2Big Quadra 4 TB hard drive, and I have the programs cache and write all previews/scratch disks to it. I also keep on the hard drive my source footage and project files.

How is that disk connected? Over USB or some other slow bus? You need to have your cache files on a fast disk connected over a fast bus.

See this page for resources about making Adobe Premiere Pro and After
Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

See this page for information about hardware for Premiere Pro and
After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: After effects renders incredibly slowly
by on Jan 6, 2013 at 7:15:23 am

[Shane Sackett] "I have heard two answers from friends, I'd like to get second opinions as well. One says that upgrading to an SSD drive would greatly improve speeds. The other says that upgrading my graphics card would helps speeds. Is there any validity to either of these suggestions???"

Graphics card won't do squat unless you're dealing with the new raytracing feature in CS6.

An internal SSD would improve your system's strained relationship with AE. However, there is no silver bullet.

To get the most out of AE you'd really have to remove as many of the potential slow downs as possible. While the current MacBook Pro does have impressive specs (for a laptop) it's really quite wimpy next to a current workstation.

If you added an SSD you'd probably experience a speed up, but still be at the mercy of the relatively weak (speaking as a professional/nerd) CPU.

Also, Todd kind of hinted at this, but try transcoding your footage to a codec that AE can decode faster. Depending on your other criteria for codec I might suggest ProRes HQ or Photo JPEG.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Andrew WattsRe: After effects renders incredibly slowly
by on Oct 19, 2013 at 12:25:36 pm

Hi

With the mac book pro You cannot edit with a slow speed HD 540 is way to slow you need 720 above or above inside the mac also 8mb ram. install cs6 on that internal drive. Get yourself a G-speed Raided drive 8 or 12 Tb copy or similar with 720rpm then all the raw captured files go onto the raided drive. edit within P Pro but save to the Raided drive in a different folder like 1.raw captured file, 2.export files, 3 edited projects. burn into encore simple export into tost onto an external burner for Blu-ray it will take its time but you can edit and burn discs with Macbook pro .

Regards

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]