ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Move the camera along a sphere's circumference in Z-space?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda PfeilMove the camera along a sphere's circumference in Z-space?
by on May 9, 2014 at 1:53:01 pm

I am trying to accomplish something similar to what is happening in this video around the 13-second mark:

I want the camera to travel along the circumference of a large sphere (for lack of a better way of describing it), pausing momentarily on signs that will spring up along the way. Below is what I have accomplished so far, but the signs are all on the same flat plane. How can I get the apparent rolling effect? Also, what would be the best method for placing the "ground"?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Move the camera along a sphere's circumference in Z-space?
by on May 10, 2014 at 12:35:04 pm

You create a null, move it way below your comp and then parent the camera to the null. Then rotate the null's x position and the camera will rotate around a circle. Then it's a matter of sign placement to taste. I made a little example project. One thing I did was to add a negative rotation expression to the camera, to counter the null's expression. Maybe this will give you some ideas or a starting point.

7482_rotatingonanull.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Amanda PfeilRe: Move the camera along a sphere's circumference in Z-space?
by on May 12, 2014 at 8:20:38 pm

This was very helpful to get me to start thinking out of the box. After fighting with the camera & sign placement for a while, I ended up being inspired to make make a ferris wheel of pre-comps for my signs and it seems to pretty much do what I want it to. Only part I'm not wild about is the slapped-on circle I am using as a ground.. 7493_testsigns.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Amanda PfeilRe: Move the camera along a sphere's circumference in Z-space?
by on May 12, 2014 at 1:30:39 pm

Awesome, John! Thanks so much! I will definitely play around with this today.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]