ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Speeding up editing process

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane SackettSpeeding up editing process
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 4:40:02 pm

I am somewhat of a newbie to editing. I know how to use the programs I edit with, but as far as hardware and setup for the programs go, I'm clueless. I was wondering how I could speed up the rendering times for my Adobe Creative Suite? I mainly use After Effects and Premiere, and they take FOREVER (for example, last night it took 3 hours to render a clip in AE that was 45 seconds long with only minor color correction done to it).

I edit using a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, with 4gb 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM. I also have connected a LaCie 2Big Quadra 4 TB 1700 RPM hard drive, and I have the programs write all previews/scratch disks to it. I also keep on the hard drive my source footage and project files.

I'm willing to buy additional hardware, or configure my files differently. I simply just don't know what to do, and I've searched through forums for an answer to no avail. Please help!!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Speeding up editing process
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 7:24:23 pm

The biggest difference maker in speeding up render times is more RAM. There are a few threads on the main AE forum about rendering and computer specs. I'm not at all familiar with Macs, so there isn't much more I can offer.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Speeding up editing process
by on Dec 28, 2012 at 6:34:39 pm

See this page for resources about making Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects work faster:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Speeding up editing process
by on Dec 30, 2012 at 2:54:33 pm

I would also suggest you to go for more RAM. AE loves RAM when it comes to rendering.

For improving performance you can read articles from Adobe provided by Todd.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved