ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to change partially the color of text in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Santiago CarreñoHow to change partially the color of text in AE?
by on Dec 12, 2012 at 12:48:15 am

Hi I have this word written in my AE composition: "Emergency". I want to color Emer = Red and gency = Black. How can I do it without creating one Text Layer for Emer and another for gency. I want to do it having the whole word in the same layer. thanks

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to change partially the color of text in AE?
by on Dec 12, 2012 at 1:45:51 am

There are a few ways you could do this, but probably the best way to do it would be through the use of text animators. Create your text in black and twirl open the text, click the "Animate" fly out and choose "Fill Color".

Now you just need to adjust the range selector so that only the first 4 letters are red. To make things easier, twirl open the "Range Selector" and then "Advanced" and change "Units" to Index. Now just change the Range > End to 4. and you will have your Red/Black coloration.

Text animators are an incredible resource in AE and there are many tutorials you can use to learn them. I highly recommend you take a look at Andrew Davis's AE Tutorials, he covers text animators in 37 to 45.

Also as I worked out how to do this, I created a project, so if it helps take a look: 5069_textanimatorcs5.5.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Santiago CarreñoRe: How to change partially the color of text in AE?
by on Dec 12, 2012 at 1:54:25 am

thanks! Really appreciate it

Return to posts index

by on Dec 12, 2012 at 1:57:32 am

Happy to help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: How to change partially the color of text in AE?
by on Dec 12, 2012 at 9:10:33 am

Santiago

Another way:

Double click on the text layer, Select Emer and Choose Red color from the Character Panel. Now Select Gency and choose Black color from the Character Panel.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

by on Dec 12, 2012 at 1:02:29 pm

Santiago,

Vishesh is right, that is absolutely the easiest way to create the effect you were trying to achieve. Sometimes when working in AE, a person forgets the easy way to do things and goes right for the more complicated solution and I did that time.

One thing though is with my method, you can animate the colors/what letters are colored and so on through the use of text animators. So if that's something you are interested in doing take a look at those tutorials.

Thanks Vishesh for showing the more straight forward answer.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: How to change partially the color of text in AE?
by on Dec 12, 2012 at 1:11:19 pm

Glad I could help John.

We always learn something from each other. I was unaware of the method that you have told earlier. I always go through your posts to learn things that I don't know. I strongly feel that its a great way to learn.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]