ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Extract TV screen from a clip, AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teodor Tau
Extract TV screen from a clip, AE
on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:30:53 am

Hi!

First I would like to say hello! to everybody here, this is my first post!
Glad to be here with you, I've read a lot advices on this forum as direct results of Google searches on my Premiere Pro/After Effects problems. :D

So, here's the thing:
I have two clips, both have a TV screen somewhere in them. There's some small movement in both, but I can trace them w/o problems.

If I mask out the screen in the second clip, motion track the first with "Perspective motion clip" and set the second clip as the Target it does ok, but I end up with the "pasted" clip from the second not being scaled to fit the screen in the first screen, like this:

This is how that second clip looks like, masked out:

If there would be a way to cut out the masked layer to another layer, so it would fit the screen when I apply the motion tracking.

I'm a AE noob, so please bear with me. =)

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Extract TV screen from a clip, AE
on Nov 29, 2012 at 1:09:28 pm

This is how I would do this if I were doing this. I would take the clip you want to insert into the new tv and put it into a pre-comp and then stabilize the image. If the image is shaking in your final effect, it's not going to look right. If there isn't much movement, either of AE's stabilizers should work.

Once the image is stabilized, look below your comp window and locate the Region of Interest button(it's to the right of the resolution pull down), press that and crop to just around your TV image Go to the menu bar Composition > "Crop Comp to Region of Interest". Your composition will now be the size of the TV Video you want to insert.

Drop this comp into your final comp and apply the effect Distort > Corner Pin and fit the image into your tv. Now apply the tracking data to your corner pinned layer and it should look like it's part of the image.

Finally you might want to add some glow to the video image, or duplicate the layer and play with transfer modes, to give it more of a tv that's emitting light type of look. Here's a quick project I made using your pictures with the effects and stacking order. 5018_stackingorderfolder.zip

If this is something you may have to do in the future, you will want to learn how to use Mocha. It's a free tracking software that comes with AE(they have 100's of tutorials on there site and 100's more have been done by other people).

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Teodor Tau
on Dec 2, 2012 at 7:40:16 pm

Thank you sooooo much! It worked! I've spent so many hour trying to figure it out and you solved it in an instant!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 3, 2012 at 1:04:20 pm

I can assure you that at one point, I spent just as long trying to figuring this stuff out.

Glad I was able to help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Teodor Tau
on Dec 5, 2012 at 6:37:04 am

Every begining is a difficult one. =)

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]