ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Scrolling background elements.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie MooreScrolling background elements.
by on Nov 20, 2012 at 5:27:29 pm

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm a motion graphics student at university and was just wondering if you guys could help me with a little problem I have..

I'm trying to create an animation using AE that has the look and feel of a side scrolling platform game. The background will move vertically, horizontally and both at the same time. What would be the best way to animate this?

I was thinking of focusing a camera on the character to keep the character in the centre of the screen. Would this be achieved through 'parenting' the camera to the character? Or would there be a simpler way? Or am I going about the whole thing in the wrong way? Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Scrolling background elements.
by on Nov 22, 2012 at 2:00:10 pm

the 3d camera and parenting would be a ggod way to go. i would parent the character and the camera both to a null. this would allow you to manipulate the character separately (to say flip its direction) separately from the camera.

another method would be not to use a 3d camera and simply animate the background layer.

or, if your background layer repeats at some point, you could use an effect like offset to animate the background movement and it will repeat infinately, which could be advantageous if this is a longer animation.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved