ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make logo letters animate individually and together?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brad hebert
How to make logo letters animate individually and together?
on Nov 19, 2012 at 8:46:40 am

I'm pretty new to AE. I have a logo. The first letter is an image and the rest is text. I'm guessing this is a common thing to do:

I'd like to make it all 3D (extrusion?). And I'd like to have all the individual parts fly in separately and lock into the logo, pan the full logo around and then explode/shatter it.

I'm learning that there are a lot of ways (some better than others) to do the same thing in AE. Is there a standard way to do what I'm looking for?

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: How to make logo letters animate individually and together?
on Nov 19, 2012 at 9:32:39 am

Brad

Shatter Simulation can be used in many ways as per the requirement.
Watch this tutorial on Shatter Simulation:

For creating Extruded Logo:

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

brad hebert
on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:34:54 am

Thanks, this sends me down a good path. Great videos!

Return to posts index

brad hebert
on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:41:01 am

Actually, I tried importing an AI file, but there is no "create shapes from vector layer" option. Is that because I'm using CS5.5? If so, is there something else I can do?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:36:37 pm

Add you layer to a composition and select the layer. Now on the menu bar go to Layer > Create Shapes from Vector Layer.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

brad hebert
on Nov 20, 2012 at 1:02:11 am

Another question:

How do I choose when the shatter happens? I want to reverse shatter the logo in place, hold it for a few seconds, then shatter it away.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:46:53 pm

Brad

"Actually, I tried importing an AI file, but there is no "create shapes from vector layer" option. Is that because I'm using CS5.5? If so, is there something else I can do?"

3D Extrusion feature is available in CS6 version only. You have to any other 3D application like Cinema 4D to extrude shapes from .ai file.

"How do I choose when the shatter happens? I want to reverse shatter the logo in place, hold it for a few seconds, then shatter it away."

Shatter effect can be controlled by Key-Framing the Radius Parameter in it.

Steps:
1. Go to Effects Control Panel.
2. Twirl down Shatter effect.
3. Twirl down Force 1.
4. Bring the radius value to Zero.
5. Now key-Frame the Radius say at 3 sec and at 3 sec 1 frame bring the radius value back to its original say 0.5.

For reverse animation:

1. Select the Layer in Time Line.
2. Right Click on it and go to Time and select Time-Reverse Layer.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:59:41 pm

First here are a couple of tutorials on using shatter(it can be a bit over-whelming):

This tutorial is quite old, but shatter hasn't changed in 10 years so it's still relevant: Basic Shatter: Introduction to the Shatter Effect

A new Tutorial from Rob Mize: Shatter-Mation in After Effects

To answer your question though, a layer shatter when it is hit by a 3D force. When you first apply shatter you will get a wireframe plus forces view. The blue lines are the force hitting your layer like a wrecking ball causing it to break up. By twirling down the force parameter you can control when your layer is hit, where it's hit and how it's hit.

You can't reverse shatter a logo per se, you need to shatter the logo and precomp the effect. Now you can apply a Layer > Time > Time Remap to have the shatter reverse and explode out again.

I made an example project illustrating how shatter works and how you would time remap it. Take a look at the tutorials/my project and if you have any more questions, come back and ask.

4977_shatterexample.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

brad hebert
on Nov 20, 2012 at 9:43:49 pm

You guys are awesome - thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 6, 2012 at 12:33:00 pm

Glad I was able to help

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]