ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

sing along bouncing ball

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Colando
sing along bouncing ball
on May 12, 2014 at 3:41:38 pm

Hello,

So I am a little new to alot of techniques in after effects. I am working on a project for a sing along. is there an easier way to add a bouncing image that goes along with the lyrics. I saw that there was a thread a few years back on this topic. but I need a bit more specific guidance on what specific effect/ or steps in order to make this process easier. Frame by frame will take way too long and hard to get the timing just right. Help anyone?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: sing along bouncing ball
on May 13, 2014 at 12:50:01 pm

My co-worker made this AE project for a sing-along video. It uses some sliders for bounce height, bounces per sec and the ball Y position. You have to keyframe the horizontal position, per word---just way to automate it. It's only 1 parameter to keyframe, so not too terrible.

6211_bouncingball.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jon Colando
on May 13, 2014 at 9:02:57 pm

Are you familiar with this process? I am a bit new in terms of alot of these effects. and how to get this. looking for a tutorial.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 13, 2014 at 11:03:38 pm

How familiar do I need to be. If you download that project, it's pretty straight forward. Take a look at it, and if you have some specific questions, ask.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Jon Colando
on May 13, 2014 at 11:39:18 pm

well i downloaded the project, and it opens up the file. but its all finished. no explanation on how to get it to that point. just a finished effect.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 14, 2014 at 11:49:18 am

I thought you just needed some help with the project, so that's why I linked to the original file, to help you with your sing-a-long.

I'm going to forward this to my co-worker, who created that project, so he can answer your questions. To be fair, he's using expressions(which are a advanced technique), so if you are just getting started, it might be a bit difficult to follow.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
on May 14, 2014 at 1:29:27 pm

Hey Jon Colando,

So I'm the guy who made the template John sent you and am happy to answer any questions you have about it. But to start I'll just break down the basics of using it. If you have more questions about how to customize the expression or anything else then we can get into that but it is built to give you full control just using the sliders.

So it is built in such a way that you can duplicate the comp and use a new comp for every sentence of your singalong. This is at least the way I have found easiest to use it. So you will want to open the comp for your first sentence click the text layer and type in the first line of lyrics for your song.

Now there is a precomp named "Ball image here" open that precomp and replace the white ball with whatever image you want to use for your bouncing ball and delete the white circle. The white circle was just a place holder to give you approximate scale and in case you didn't have an image you wanted to replace it with. I generally do this step first because often the shape of the ball changes how you want it to hit on the words.

Now all the edits you have left should be only on the layer on the top named Ball animator. I made this layer the controller for all the other layers and expressions so that you would not have to parse through any of the expressions yourself. If you hit the layer named "Ball Animator" and hit the letter U on the keyboard the keyframes for that layer come up. As you can see only one set of keyframes comes up. When I was building it I wanted to make it as simple as possible.

Now delete those keyframes. I like to delete them so I can set my bounces per second first and then animate position. Now open up the effect control pane (usually next to the project pane) and there are all of the controls for the "Ball Animator" layer. Use the "horizontal position" slider to move the ball into the center of the screen where you can see it. Next set your bounces per second using the "Bounce per sec" slider until you have a pace you like. Then Slide the "vertical level" slider until your ball is landing on the words the way you like. (The ball is dynamically linked vertically with the text so that if you move the text to the middle or top of the screen the ball follows vertically, the "vertical level" slider is more a calibration slider to account for different heights in fonts)The final slider to deal with during this animation calibration phase is the "Bounce height" This just controls the how high the peak of your bounce is. Adjust this until you like how large your bounces are.

Now to the final step; keyframing your animation. Start at the beginning of your timeline and move forward placing a keyframe on the "Horizontal Position" slider every time the ball hits the bottom of its bounce. You can do this either by eye or by using your bounce per second value to mathematically figure out where the keyframes will go. Don't worry about changing the values of the keyframes yet, this is just about marking the bounces. Once you have marked enough bounces for every word or syllable (depending on if you want the ball to hit every word or syllable) then go back to the first keyframe and move the "Horizontal position" slider till the ball is all the way off screen. Then using the next keframe button to advance to the next keyframe. Now adjust the "Horizontal position" slider until it lands on the first word or syllable in the right place. Then advance a keyframe. Do this until the animation is complete.

So that pretty much it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Jaqai Mickelsen
on Sep 8, 2014 at 2:42:18 pm

I seriously have not signed into creative cow for a looooong long time, but I just wanted to say thanks for this template. This here has saved me a lot of time and I appreciate it a great deal.

Onwards and upwards!

Return to posts index

Heart Leake
on Dec 28, 2014 at 8:44:02 pm

I was looking for the exact same thing. Thanks for the ZIP file. I will see how it works out for me. I have been subscribed to CreativeCow via Youtube for a few years.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]