ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

expression or technique for flipping between layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Estabrooks
expression or technique for flipping between layers?
on Nov 5, 2012 at 5:06:53 pm

Hi,

Apologies for the noob question.

It's fersure possible to do what I want to do manually, but I was curious if there's an expression or technique to accomplish it more elegantly?

Basically I have two different stickfigure shape layers (a man and a woman). I've turned each into 3D shapes and extruded them out.

I've also used a spin expression to continually rotate these stickfigures around a central axis.

What I want to do, is swap the layers back and forth for 45 seconds so that on one rotation it's the male stickfigure and then on the next rotation swap in the female stickfigure and so on so forth...

in other words on each rotation swap in and out between the different shape footage.

like I said, I know I can do it by doing one or two manual cuts and then copy and pasting them over and over again... but was curious how the pros would do it?

thanks
Nate

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: expression or technique for flipping between layers?
on Nov 5, 2012 at 6:21:21 pm

I would make the keyframing the exact same for both layers, just with the opacity offset. Once you create your keyframes for one cycle, then you would apply this expression on opacity and rotation:

loopOut("cycle")

ps: I'm not sure what the pros would do, but that's how I'd handle it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Nathan Estabrooks
on Nov 6, 2012 at 6:37:03 am

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 5, 2012 at 6:43:04 pm

If the opacity should only be determined based on the layer's visibility you can use Dan Ebberts' great expression:

http://motionscript.com/design-guide/invisible-facing-away.html

Simply parent one of the layers to the other, rotate the child 180 degrees on the y-axis and apply the expression to both layers' opacity properties.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Nathan Estabrooks
on Nov 6, 2012 at 6:36:33 am

Amazing!

Thank you Both!

Both techniques worked like charm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]