ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering Adobe After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate James
Rendering Adobe After Effects
on Nov 2, 2012 at 11:40:49 am

Hello,

I'm very new to AE and have managed to figure most things out so far, I've made some little videos and posted to YouTube no problem, however ... I've been working on quite a big 10min long project - it's finished (ish) and now I'd like to render it.

This is where I come unstuck. The render queue is suggesting a 67 hour wait and telling me 'Warning: Estimated file size exceeds available disk space'

I've tried a few things to reduce the file size, but lets face it, I haven't a clue. My last attempt was to use Best settings, Quicktime with Animation compression. I'm working on a pretty bog-standard laptop and CS3.

Can anybody help me? I've spent days and days perfecting this promotional video for my work. This is a bit depressing.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Kate

Return to posts index

Kate James
Re: Rendering Adobe After Effects
on Nov 2, 2012 at 12:09:04 pm

and... I just tried letting it run and it says 'unable to allocate space for xxx x xxx file.' something about buffering and cashe. If i render the individual comps that make up the video separately, compacting them as I go will that help?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:58:49 pm

This is where I come unstuck. The render queue is suggesting a 67 hour wait and telling me 'Warning: Estimated file size exceeds available disk space'

AE doesn't think that you have a large enough hard drive for the file at your current settings.

Hello,

I'm very new to AE and have managed to figure most things out so far, I've made some little videos and posted to YouTube no problem, however ... I've been working on quite a big 10min long project - it's finished (ish) and now I'd like to render it.

I've tried a few things to reduce the file size, but lets face it, I haven't a clue. My last attempt was to use Best settings, Quicktime with Animation compression. I'm working on a pretty bog-standard laptop and CS3.

Quicktime-Animation is uncompressed video, it looks great but it will create huge files. Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a medi...

If this is for youtube, try Render settings "Best" Output Module - Windows Media. Press the codec button and change it to WMV9 Advanced. You can experiment with the Max Bitrate, but 3000 should be good. Make sure you check the audio output at the bottom.

Pre-rendering individual comps will help, but you if you do that, you want to render them to a lossless file, like a QT-animation(which create large files) before stitching everything together in your final. If you render the individual pieces to a compressed codec, you will be compressing it, then compressing again for the final, so consider that. Though if the final is for youtube, it might not be too noticeable.

If you are having hard-drive space issues, you might want to invest in a cheap terabyte external drive. The drawback is that AE will really slow down if it has to access files over an external drive via USB.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kate James
on Nov 2, 2012 at 2:13:09 pm

Thank you so much for your response.
I'm going to give this a go.
:-)
Kate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]