ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Contoling time for a layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nader subaih
Contoling time for a layer
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:54:25 am

Hi CCs,

I am Pr user and just started using Ae. One thing I am struggling with is keying time and controlling its speed as I did in Pr time-remapping. For example, if I want to very slowly speed up the middle section of a layer then increasing its speed abruptly, all while the length of the layer gets effected, I cant seem to do it. I have tried time stretch . But I cant key frame and control transition (slow/fast). as for remapping, the length of layer does not change (unless i am suing it wrong). My question is, can I have similar control to Pr as in this tutorial?
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/no-stupid-questions-with-colin-smith/time-remappi...

Thanks,

Nader

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Contoling time for a layer
on Oct 31, 2012 at 12:14:11 pm

You need to use time remapping to ramp up and down a layers's speed. When you enable time remapping the length of the layer does change but not in the way you seem to want. A 10 second layer with time remapping now has an infinite length because you can slow it down to a freeze frame if you want.

When you enable Time-remapping, you create 2 keyframes, one at the beginning of the clip and one at the end. To do what you are describing you need to move the end keyframe also to keep things running smoothly.

For example, let's say you want to speed up the middle of your layer. Enable Time remapping. Go to the point where you want the action to speed up and use add keyframe selector(looks like a little diamond) to add a keyframe. Go to where you want the layer to resume it's normal speed and use the diamond to add another keyframe. Now grab the 2nd keyframe you added plus the last keyframe on the layer(the last frame of the layer) and move them both at the same time to change the speed of you layer in the middle. Finally, go to where your last keyframe is and using "alt + ]" will trim the layer to your new end point.

I made an example project showing the technique I just used(the footage is from a free clip I got from the Pond5). Hope I was of some help, come back if you have any questions and we'll try and sort them out. 4886_timeremapexamplesfolder.zip

Time Remapping in After Effects(Done in AE 5.5, but the concepts are still the same

Google Results, I haven't watched any of them so I can't say if they are good or bad

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Oct 31, 2012 at 1:25:43 pm

Sorry, my first AE Project had a mistake, here is the correct project link: 4887_timeremapexamplesfolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

nader subaih
on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:22:14 pm

Great, thank you John. I got it to work following the steps.
Thanks again.
Nader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]